Update Google Nexus 4 to Android 4.3 JWR66V Jelly Bean Official OTA
Google Nexus 4 has received a new OTA Update that installs the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V firmware. This is a guide that is destined to be used by those of you who didn’t get the JWR66V OTA Update pushed to your phones. Note that this is a tutorial destined for advanced users and it is not recommended to be applied by beginners as the phone might get bricked in the process.
This tutorial will help you successfully flash the new JWR66V Jelly Bean 4.3 OTA Update for your Nexus 4 without needing to root. Also, you will avoid losing any data files in the process. In order to make sure that you successfully flash the new files correctly you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below.
Also, learn that you can choose from two different methods to update your Nexus 4. 1st Method teaches you how to upgrade a full stock Nexus 4 that runs the Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 firmware versions, while the 2nd method teaches can be used in case the first one doesn’t work or your device is currently running a custom ROM or it has any other type of customization files installed on it. More about this can be found in the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Google Nexus 4 smartphone.
- Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Android device, as you will brick it.
- First thing that you need to do is to install the Android SDK on your computer. Download link here.
- enable the USB Debugging from your device’s Developer Options. If this menu isn’t showing in Setting, then it is hidden, which is why you need to enable it. Open Settings, then About Phone, scroll down to Build Number and press 7 times on this section.
- Check the Nexus 4 battery power levels and make sure that it says that there is more 50% left before the device switches off completely.
- If you’re having problems with the installation, then you should ask for more in the comments section.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you brick your smartphone in the process.
- This tutorial is destined to be applied by more advanced Android users.
- Read this entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in it.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the first method and learn how to flash the new firmware update successfully without losing any data files.
METHOD 1: How to flash Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V OTA Update firmware for Google Nexus 4 using adb sideload:
Remember that this tutorial only works if your device is currently running on 100% stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 ROM. So, do not use this guide in case your device is sporting a custom ROM or any other customization, as for that you can use the 2nd method.
- Download the JWR66V Android 4.3 OTA Update zip from here.
- Rename the JWR66V zip to ‘update.zip’ before continuing to the next step.
- Next, move the ‘update.zip’ file in the same folder where you have the ‘adb’.
> the adb folder is created by the Android SDK that you downloaded using the link listed above in the preparation guide.
- Power off your Nexus 4 now.
- Boot the device into Bootloader / Fastboot mode like this: press and hold Volume UP, Volume Down and Power, all at the same time. Release them when the Bootloader menu appears.
- Press Volume Up until the Recovery Mode text line appears. Press power to boot the phone into Recovery Mode.
> a small Android will appear with a red exclamation mark, which is why you have to press and hold Power, then press once Volume Up to boot the Recovery mode. Release the buttons.
- From the Recovery Menu, select the option that says ‘apply update from adb’.
- Use the USB Data cable and connect the Nexus 4 with your computer.
- Launch a Command Prompt window on your PC. Make sure that you open its path directly where you place the ‘update.zip’ file.
- Next, enter the following command line in order to flash the OTA Update file:
> adb sideload update.zip
- When the progress bar reaches 100%, the installation of Android 4.3 JWR66V firmware OTA Update will begin for your Nexus 4.
- After all files are flashed successfully your device will restart into normal mode and the update has been completed.
If this method didn’t work then you should try the second one listed below or ask for more help in comments. Also, you can use this XDA Thread here for more info.
METHOD 2: How to flash Android 4.3 JB JWR66V Firmware OTA Update for Nexus 4:
This is the guide that only requires you to install / update the bootloader, radio, kernel (boot.img) and system image of the new Android 4.3 JWR66V firmware for N4. No data wiping is involved in this process. Do not skip any steps that I have listed below.
- Download Android 4.3 JWR66V factory image from here.
- When the ‘tgz’ file is successfully downloaded, you should extract the archive and save all files into a single folder.
> make sure to extract all the other zip comprised within the tgz too. Place them all into a single folder and save it on your computer.
- Switch off your Nexus 4 now.
- Boot your device into Bootloader Mode now.
> if you don’t know how to do this, then you can learn using the info listed in Method 1 Step 5.
- Next, connect your device with your computer via USB cable.
- Launch the Command Prompt window where the unzipped files are located.
- Now, flash the OTA Update using the command lines I’ve listed below:
> adb reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash bootloader bootloader*.img -> the ‘bootloader*’ should be changed to the name of the bootloader image you downloaded.
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.84.img
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash system system.img
> fastboot flash boot boot.img
> fastboot format cache
> fastboot reboot
- That’s it, you’ve successfully managed to update your smartphone with the latest Android 4.3 JB JWR66V firmware OTA Update.
- Note that the first boot process with the new ROM will take a while before loading all the required files.
These were all the steps that you had to go over in order to update your smartphone. Use the comments section for any extra questions or simply check the info listed in this XDA thread here.
Upgrading your device to Android 4.3 JWR66V Jelly Bean using an OTA Update or Factory Image file has never been easier. If you’re planning on rooting this new firmware, then you should check the Nexus 4 Root section, as we will post a guide to help you do that shortly.
If you’re planning on rooting this new firmware for your device, then you will first have to flash a custom Recovery image such as TWRP Recovery (guide here) and then you can check the ‘how to root nexus 4′ guide here.