Google has launched the official KitKat 4.4.4 firmware OTA Update for the Google Nexus 5 smartphones around the world.
If you didn’t get the official Android 4.4.4 KTU84P OTA Update notification, then you can sue this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully install it manually.
Note that this guide is destined to be used only for Nexus 5 smartphones that are running on the KTU84M Android 4.4.3 ROM, do not use this guide for older versions of KitKat such as 4.4.2, 4.4.1 or 4.4 as you will brick the device. More about the preparation info and what you need to know about this new update can be found in the guidelines tutorial below.
This update can be installed using ‘adb sideload’ command with the Fastboot / Bootloader Mode launched on your Nexus 5. It is an extremely easy to follow guide, but you need to carefully read the entire post before starting update.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the installation:
- use the guide only for the Google Nexus 5 smartphone.
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files that I’ve posted in this post.
- install KTU84P Android 4.4.4 only over KTU84M Android 4.4.3 firmware.
– check your device’s firmware version in Settings> About Phone> Build Number.
– if the Build Number section doesn’t say KTU84M, then you should close this guide as the update process cannot be completed.
- your Nexus 5 doesn’t need to be on an unlocked bootloader.
- the phone can be rooted or non-rooted, it doesn’t matter as the update will be installed regardless of your phone’s root status.
- however, if your Nexus 5 runs on a custom ROM, then this update will not work and you will be forced to restore the phone to a stock Recovery via ‘Factory Image’
– note that in case you decide to flash a Factory Image, then you need to know that you will lose all data in the process.
- for this guide to work you need to make sure to configure Android SDK on your PC.
– download the Android SDK bundle and then install it on your C: partition.
– after you install the SDK you should find the SDK Manager executable and launch it to install all drivers and files required.
- install the Nexus 5 USB Drivers.
- enable the USB Debugging on your smartphone from Developer Option before starting the updating process.
– if Developer Options doesn’t show up, then you will be forced to enable it first: go to Settings> About Phone, scroll down to Build Number and tap on this section seven times. Developer Options will then be enabled and you can find the menu in Settings.
- check your phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off during installation.
- this is a tutorial that should be used by Android advanced users.
- you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick your or in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- use the comments field in case you can’t complete update.
Below you can find two different tutorials: the first one teaches you how to install the update using ADB sideload from Stock Recovery Mode, and the second guide can be used by Nexus 5 users with CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it.
How to install Android 4.4.4 KTU84P on Google Nexus 5 from ADB Sideload:
Remember that your device has to run Android 4.4.3 KTU84M firmware for this guide to work.
- Download the Android 4.4.4 KitKat KTU84P firmware zip and save the file on your computer.
– Get the file from Mega or MediaFire.
- After the download is complete you should go to your Android SDK folder and place the file in the ‘platform-tools’ directory.
– find ‘platform-tools’ folder as it should be present in the SDK folder.
– the Android SDK can be downloaded using the link in the preparation guide.
- Change the Android 4.4.4 filename to ‘update.zip’.
- Switch off the Nexus 5 now.
- Boot your device in Stock Recovery Mode.
- When Stock Recovery Mode menu appears you will need to select the ‘apply update from adb’ option.
- Next, use a USB Cable to connect the Nexus 5 to your PC.
- Next, go to the folder where you’ve placed the Android 4.4.4 KTU84P update.zip file.
- Press and hold ‘SHIFT’ on your keyboard and, at the same time, right-click on the folder’s white space. Select ‘open command prompt window here’.
- Now you should see the CMD window loading and you can start the update installation.
- Enter the following command line in CMD: adb sideload update.zip
– note that the updating process will take a while to install all the new files.
– do not press any buttons until your phone tells you that the installation was completed with success.
– in case you haven’t changed the zip filename then you will have to type its exact title for the process to begin.
- After all files are sideloaded from your computer you can reboot the phone and unplug it from your PC.
These were the steps you had to take in order to install Android 4.4.4 KTU84P over Android 4.4.3 KTU84M on Nexus 5.
If your phone runs a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP, then you should follow the second tutorial below.
How to flash Android 4.4.4 KTU84P over KTU84Musing CWM / TWRP Recovery:
- Get the firmware update zip file from the same link as in tutorial #1.
- Connect the Nexus 5 to computer via USB cable.
- Move the firmware zip file to your Nexus 5 internal storage.
- Disconnect phone from computer after file is transferred.
- Power off the device and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- In CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode select the ‘install’ option.
- Find the Android 4.4.4 KTU84P zip and confirm the installation process.
- When the update is complete you simply have to reboot the Nexus 5 in normal mode.
In case you require extra help you should tell us in comments.