Fastboot Mode aka Bootloader Mode is your Nexus’ sub-system, one that you can use to flash filesystem using a USB connection for your host computer.
This tutorial listed below will teach you how to successfully boot Google Nexus 5 in Fastboot mode or Bootloader mode, it depends on the term you normally use for this operation. Both fastboot and bootloader modes are describing the same subsystem options menu of your Nexus 5 device.
Fastboot Mode allows you to use various command lines that can be sent to your device via USB cable, so that you will then be able to flash new stock Android ROM updates, custom ROMs, kernels, themes or any other type of file that requires using command lines. Also, Fastboot can be used to erase partitions, entire system data or you can either use it to reboot the phone in normal mode or boot in Recovery Mode or reboot the bootloader once again as a refresh task.
Enable Fastboot Bootloader Mode for your Nexus 5 and you will then be able to control all of its system files. Note that Fastboot commands should be used only by advanced users and by those who know how to push files via USB using Windows Command Prompt or Mac’s Terminal window.
How to boot Fastboot Mode for Google Nexus 5:
- Power off the Nexus 5 completely.
- Next, press and hold Volume Down, Volume Up and Power simultaneously.
– don’t release the buttons until Fastboot Mode menu appears.
- That’s it, now you’re free to connect your smartphone to your PC and launch Command Prompt in order to use one of the following fasboot commands: flash, erase, reboot, devices or format.
Note that every time you want to tell your Nexus 5 to perform a task, then you will need to first enter ‘fastboot’ and then it has to be followed by one of the commands.
Another thing you can use the Nexus 5 Fastboot mode for, is to apply updates or upgrades for the installed stock ROMs using the Stock Recovery Mode menu:
- at Fastboot’s main screen you need to press Volume buttons and select the Recovery Mode option
- press Power to boot stock Recovery Mode.
– after that you will see a green Android chilling on his back with a red warning sign.
- press and hold the phone’s Power button and then press once Volume Up.
- Recovery Mode options will appear now and you will see that it allows you to: reboot system, apply update from ADB, wipe data/ factory reset or wipe cache partition.
Fastboot Mode allows you to Unlock your Nexus 5 Bootloader, too. Note that if you decide to unlock the bootloader of your device, then you will surely lose all data files that are stored on it.
If you still want to go ahead with the Bootloader Unlock process, then you should take a look at our tutorial guide here.