The Samsung Galaxy S has been update to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean official OS this year. But, not all users have been happy with this update and some of them want to know how they can downgrade to stock Android 2.3 Gingerbread. That’s why I’ve created this post, for you to learn how to successfully restore your device to an official Gingebread firmware.
In order to make sure that you successfully complete this guide, you need to read the preparation guide below:
- Use the tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070. Both 8GB and 16GB versions are supported by this guide.
- This guide is destined to be used by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to update your device in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Don’t try to use the firmware files you find in this post with any other smartphones.
- Backup all your data before getting to the tutorial. The downgrade process will most probably wipe all data from your device.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account, so that you can restore them to your PC after the update is complete.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that no antivirus apps are running on your PC.
- Check the battery power left so that the device won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed.
Now that you know all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this article.
How to downgrade Galaxy S Advance I9070 from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Android 2.3 Gingerbread:
- Download Android 2.3 GB file from HERE.
- Extract the contents of this file and you will get all the required files in order to downgrade your device. Also, the PIT file and Odin 3 app for your desktop are included in the zip.
- OPTIONAL: If your device is the 16GB version then you should download the following file here. If you download this file then you won’t need to .pit file listed in step 2, as you will use instead the 16GB .pit one.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S Advance to Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power. Release the buttons when an ‘alert’ screen appears. Press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode.
- Launch Odin 1.85 exe on your PC.
- Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. ODIN should now detect the Galaxy S Advance and it should display a confirmation message saying ‘added!!’.
- In ODIN, click PDA and then load the following file CODE_GT-I9070_I9070DXLD1_CL1068093_REV00_user_SEC_KEY_LD1_8G.tar.md5
- Next, click CSC and load this file: CSC_GT-I9070-MULTI-CSC-OLBLD1_SEC_KEY_8G.tar.md5.
- After that click PIT and load the .pit file corresponding to your device’s storage 8GB/ 16GB.
- Make sure that the Auto Reboot, F Reset Time and Re-Partition options are enabled in ODIN. When you’re ready you can hit the START buttons.
- The downgrade process shouldn’t take long to complete.
- When you see the ‘PASS’ message, then you will know that the downgrade is complete and the Galaxy S Advance is rebooting into normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and that should be all, wait for the main menu of Android 2.3 GB to load and then take control over your device once again. These were all the steps you had to take. In case you have any other questions, then you should ask for more help in comments.