Google has posted the official Android 7.1.1 Factory Image file for the Nexus 6 phones. Check the info in this post if you want to learn how to flash and restore your device to stock Android firmware.
This tutorial can be used both as an updating as well as a ‘factory resetting’ method. The installation of Android 7.1.1 Nougat will wipe clean the entire Nexus 6 data from the device’s storage.
Android 7.1.1 Factory Image
Check the following guidelines before starting the installation process:
- this is a guide that you need to use only for the Nexus 6 devices.
– don’t try to install any of the files found in this post on any other different Android devices.
- the USB Debugging can be enabled from Developer Options menu only.
– if you cannot find the Developer Options menu, then you need to go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number section.
– get back to Settings, scroll down and you will find the Developer Options menu there.
– in Developer Options you have to look for the USB Debugging option, enable it and continue to the next part of this post.
– after USB Debugging is enabled you have to make sure that OEM Unlock option is activated, too.
- the Factory Image process will wipe the data from the entire smartphone.
– you should backup all the important data files before starting the installation process.
– the wiping process is done because your device’s bootloader has to be unlocked in the process.
– if the phone’s bootloader was already unlocked, then some data might survive the update process.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the devices switches off.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you end up bricking the entire device.
These were all guidelines that you had to go over before starting the installation process.
How to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat Factory Image for Nexus 6:
Before starting the flashing process you have to setup the ADB and Fastboot Binaries for your computer. The steps below will teach you how to successfully setup the Platform-tools for your device.
Here’s how to setup Android ADB and Fastboot for your PC:
- download the Android Platform-tools zip from here for Windows systems, here for Mac OS platforms and here for Linux devices.
- after the download is complete you have to extract the archived contents of these files.
– place all extracted files in a new folder called Platform-tools, you can place the folder on your computer’s main system partition.
- next, Download Google USB driver from here.
– install the Google usb driver on your computer.
– the usb driver will allow the PC to detect the phone and then you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to Flash Android 7.1.1 Nougat Factory Image:
- Download Android 7.1.1 Factory Image for Nexus 6 devices from here.
- When the download has been completed you can unzip the archived contents. Place these files in the platform-tools folder.
– that’s the folder you’ve obtained while setting up the ADB and Fastboot Binaries above.
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Boot your Nexus 6 in Fastboot Mode.
– leave the Fastboot menu opened on your phone’s screen.
- Now you can connect your Nexus 6 to computer using the USB cable.
– verify that your phone has been detected by the computer.
- Go to Platform-tools folder where you’ve placed all the Android 7.1.1 Factory Image files.
- First you need to open a Command Prompt window in the Platform-Tools folder. Unlock the Nexus 6 bootloader using the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the process.
- Start Android 7.1 Nougat Factory Image installation by double-clicking the Flash-All.bat script.
– confirm installation.
- When the installation is done you can reboot your smartphone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and use your default login data in order to regain control over your smartphone once again.
In case you need to re-lock the phone’s bootloader after the update is done, then you should use the following command line: fastboot flashing lock
If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments below.
If installation process fails, then you need to know that you can repeat the whole tutorial more than once, but make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won’t skip any steps.