Flash Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean VRBMA2 Firmware for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535
A leaked variant of Android 4.1.2 JB ROM (VRBMA2 firmware version), has appeared on the XDA Developers forums and you can use this post to learn how to successfully install it on your Verizon SGS3. Read tall the instructions and don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial guide.
You will be able to flash this stock Jelly Bean firmware ROM by firstly installing the stock Factory Image for your phone, then flash a custom Recovery such as TWRP or ClockworkMod Touch. After all these actions you will still have to install the SuperSU root and Unlock the bootloader for your device.
It is an update to Android 4.1.2 JB but this leak is not the final version and it seems like the Samsung Premium Suite has not been included in this release. Using this guide will overwrite all the partitions to stock since you will have to flash the stock factory image of Verizon SGS3. More guidelines on how to prepare your device, and what changes will this update apply, can be found below:
- Use the tutorial only with the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 I535. Do not attempt to flash this leaked JB VRBMA2 firmware on any other US SGS3 phone, as you will end up bricking the device.
- Use the guide only if your device is running on an unlocked bootloader.
- IMPORTANT: The /System partition will be overwritten in the process as the stock factory image will be installed instead. This means that all applications / mods that were manually installed on the /system partition will be deleted. Make sure to back them up before using this guide.
- Use the tutorial only if you’re an advanced Android user. This guide should not be applied by novice users.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you lose any data or you brick the smartphone in the process.
- Make sure that your PC has the Samsung USB Drivers installed. This will make sure that your phone will be recognized by Odin ( the app you’ll use to install the stock factory image and custom recovery).
- Sync all your Contacts with your Gmail account. You will need to use the same Google account in order to restore the Contacts data.
- Make sure that you enable the USB Debugging option from the Android Developer Options.
- The battery power level should be over 50% so that the device won’t power off during the installation.
- SAMSUNG KIES software has to be disabled during the updating process.
- Disable all antivirus applications from your computer. This will prevent such security software from interfering with the tutorial.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
- The tutorial is compiled of three parts: first you will have to restore the device to stock factory image, then install a custom recovery and after that you have to flash the root and unlock bootloader files.
- If you can’t complete the Android 4.1.2 JB update then you should ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that a viable solution will be offered for you.
These were all the guidelines that you had to read before moving to the tutorial. Don’t skip any steps listed below, as that will result in a failed updating attempt of your device.
How to update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 with leaked Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean VRBMA2 Firmware:
PART 1. Flash the stock Factory Image for Verizon SGS3:
- Download the Odin v3.07 zip from HERE. Extract its contents and save the folder on your PC desktop screen.
- Download the Stock VRBLK SGS3 Factory Image with NO DATA WIPE from HERE. Save the file on your PC.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Launch the ODIN executable and then get to the next step.
- Boot it into Download Mode by pressing at the same time Volume Down, Home and Power buttons at the same time. Release the buttons when a ‘warning’ message appears and you have to press ‘Volume Up’ to boot the Download Mode.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC using the USB cable. ODIN will say ‘Added!!’ and you can continue to the next step. NOTE: if the phone isn’t added then you should re-install the Samsung USB drivers.
- Press ‘PDA’ button in ODIN and then load the VRBLK factory image tar.md5 file. Make sure that you don’t change any default settings of ODIN 3.07.
- Press the START button in order to flash the stock factory image on your device.
- The Verizon SGS3 will restart after the install is complete you can unplug the phone from computer.
- The phone will boot into normal mode and you will see that the Jelly Bean firmware has been installed without DATA WIPE.
This first part made sure that you got the stock Android 4.1.2 ROM and now you will need to follow the instructions below. You will learn how to flash a custom recovery for your device.
PART 2. Install CWM Touch Recovery or TWRP Recovery for your Verizon SGS3:
- Download the CWM Touch Recovery tar.md5 file from HERE.
Download the TWRP Recovery tar.md5 file from HERE.
- After the download of one of the above custom recoveries is complete, you will need to power off your smartphone.
- Launch ODIN executable from the Odin folder created at PART 1 – Step 1.
- Boot it into Download Mode. It can be done by pressing Volume Down, Home and Power. Release the buttons when the warning message appears, and then press Volume Up to boot the Download Mode.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC now using the USB cable. ODIN will say ‘added!!’. Get to the next step.
- Click on ‘PDA’ button and then browse for the custom recovery tar.md5 file. Make sure not to change any default settings.
- Press the START button to flash the custom Recovery image.
- When the recovery is installed, your device should reboot into normal mode.
- Unplug the phone from PC.
- Test to see if the recovery installed by powering off the PC by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power. Release the Power button when the screen powers on but keep holding the Home and Volume up buttons until the recovery mode appears.
- That’s it, you’ve managed to install a custom Recovery image on your device.
PART 3. Root your ROM and Unlock Bootloader for Verizon SGS3:
- Download the SuperSU and Bootloader pack from HERE. Don’t extract its contents.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC using the USB cable.
- Now move the Root pack file on your phone’s internal SDcard.
- Disconnect the device from computer when the files are successfully copied.
- Power off the device.
- Boot it into custom Recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power; let go of Power when the screen lights up but keep pressing the other buttons until the custom Recovery mode loads.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
- Next, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and browse your device for the ‘SuperSU Bootloader’ zip.
- Confirm the installation and then wait until the process is complete.
- After the install is complete you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the Verizon SGS3 boots into normal mode.
That’s it, you’ve successfully flashed all the files required for you to get the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean VRBMA2 leaked and fully rooted ROM on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535.
NOTE: In case you have problems installing the files, then you should ask for help in comments or you should head to teh developer’s XDA thread here.