Flash Android 4.1.2 XXAMD3 Jelly Bean firmware OTA Update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190
The latest XXAMD3 build based on Android 4.1.2 is available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash this official OTA Update manually without bricking your device. Make sure to read the entire post first and only after that begin the installation of this new ROM.
This firmware update brings all the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 features such as TouchWiz Nature UX 2.0 interface, Project Butter, Google Now etc. In order to successfully flash this new official OTA Update by Samsung for your Galaxy S3 Mini, you will first have to read the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini device that has the model number I8190. Check the phone version by opening Settings and then About phone menu.
- backup all the data that you have currently stored on your device.
- this guide will revoke root access, which means that in case your device is rooted you will have to re-apply root after installation.
- make sure that your PC has all the Samsung USB Drivers installed on it.
- enable USB debugging from the Developer Options menu. NOTE: After you finish installing the Android 4.1.2 JB ROM, you will notice that the Developer Options aren’t listed. To unhide them, open Settings, then About phone and tap 7 times the Build Number section.
- the phone’s battery power levels should be over 50% before starting the updating process.
- this is a guide for advanced Android users; don’t try to use the instructions if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- ask for extra help in comments if you cannot complete the update.
- don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before continuing to the interesting part of this tutorial.
How to flash Android 4.1.2 XXAMD3 OTA Update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini:
- Download the XXAMD3 firmware zip file from HERE. Save the file on computer.
- Extract the contents of XXAMD3 zip to a single folder. You should get a .tar or .tar.md5 file, don’t extract any further.
- Download ODIN 3.07 from HERE. Extract its contents and save the folder on your PC.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 Mini smartphone now.
- Boot it into Android Download Mode. It can be done by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons when you see the warning message. Press Volume Up to confirm that you wish to boot into Download Mode.
- Launch ODIN executable.
- Connect the phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Wait for ODIN to say ‘Added!!’. If this message doesn’t show up, it means that the phone wasn’t recognized and you can try to change USB ports or re-install the Samsung USB drivers. If everything went according to plan, continue to the next step.
- Click the ‘PDA’ button in ODIN and browse your PC for the XXAMD3 .tar file. Load it into ODIN.
- Don’t change any ODIN default settings. Make sure that the Re-Partition option is disabled and continue with the next step.
- Click ‘START’ when you’re ready for the updating process.
- The installation of XXAMD3 firmware shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete. Which is why you should wait until the device reboots and the Samsung boot animation appears on its screen; that’s when you unplug it from your computer.
- Wait for the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean screen to load and enter your Google Account details in order to take control over your device.
- The install has been completed, now you can test all the new features and functions.
NOTE: if ODIN says ‘FAIL’ or it freezes, you will have to disconnect the phone from PC. Remove the phone’s battery and re-insert it after 5 seconds. Next, repeat the entire tutorial once again and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed above.
NOTE 2: if ODIN says ‘PASS’ but the device cannot go past the Samsung boot animation or, it enters into a boot loop, then you will have to factory reset it from the Recovery mode. Here’s how to do that:
- power off the phone completely.
- boot it into Recovery mode like this: press at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power. Release the buttons after the screen flickers and wait.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm.
- get back to the main recovery menu.
- select ‘reboot system now’ option.
- wait several minutes for the first boot to complete.
- enter your Google details when the homescreen appears.
These were all the instructions that you had to go over in order to successfully flash this new OTA Update manually.
This is only the latest build of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and we don’t know when Samsung will launch the official update to Android 4.2.2 version. However, keep an eye on our web site to find guides on how to flash any ROMs for your Galaxy S3 Mini.
If you want to root this stock Android 4.1.2 XXAMD3 firmware, you will have to wait several days until the rooting tools will be made available.