AOKP JB MR1 build 4 has been released for the HTC One XL and it is based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOSP ROM. Read this entire post and you will learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM for your smartphone. Do not skip any steps that are posted below as that will result in a failed updating attempt.
This custom ROM is based on the Android 4.2.2 JB and it packs all the AOSP functions of Android along with other AOKP customization tools and settings. In order to make sure that the update is successfully installed you will need to read the guidelines below so that you will manage to flash all the files at your first attempt. Note that this is not an official release by HTC, but a custom ROM designed by the Android Open Kang Project and it is the JB Milestone Release 1 build 4.
Here’s what you need to know before getting to the tutorial:
- This guide will work only with the HTC One XL device. Do not attempt to use this tutorial with any other smartphone as you will end up bricking it.
- Your HTC One XL has an unlocked bootloader, it is rooted and CWM Recovery image. These are required as without these requirements being met you won’t be able to flash the new custom ROM on your phone.
- Use the CWM Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will be a restore point for your device and you will find it useful in case it cannot boot after installation.
- The tutorial will ask you to wipe data and factory reset the device in case it is running a different ROM and not an AOKP one. That is why you should move all important data to your device’s internal SDcard.
- The /system partition will be wiped in the process and that’s why you should choose to backup apps, SMS, call logs and other similar data. Use the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account. Make sure to enter the same Google Account after installing the new ROM, so that you will restore all the Contact details and phone numbers.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Developer Options.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it reaches at least 50% power charge level. This will prevent the device from powering off in the middle of the updating process.
- We cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you lose data or your device is unable to boot after installation. Use the tutorial only if you’re an advanced user.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before getting to the tutorial. NOTE: In case you are running a previous AOKP Jelly Bean build, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step as your device will boot normally.
How to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 for the HTC ONE XL:
- Download the AOKP JB MR1 build 4 ROM zip from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and don’t unzip.
- Download the Gapps for CM10.1 from HERE. This file will install the correct Google applications for your device. Save the file on computer and don’t extract its contents.
- Connect your device to your computer and then move the downloaded files on to the HTC One XL internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off your device and then boot into Bootloader /fastboot mode.
- Select RECOVERY option and then wait for the CWM Recovery mode main menu to load.
- In case your device is not running a ROM based on AOKP JB previous builds then you will have to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm. NOTE: Skip the step if your device is using an AOKP JB build.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’. Then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and now find the AOKP JB MR1 build 4 zip and confirm the installation.
- When the ROM is installed, then you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then install the Gapps file. Confirm.
- Return to the main menu of the Recovery mode and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now the first boot process of this new custom AOKP build 4 ROM. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- When the phone completes the boot, you can begin testing its new Android 4.2.2 / AOKP functions and features.
Now you’ve managed to update your phone and you’re running the latest AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 build. Check the new lockscreen features and test all the other functions.
NOTE: If the phone doesn’t boot after 5 minutes or it gets into a boot loop then you should power off the device completely. Boot again into Recovery mode and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that the step 6 is applied. This will wipe the data and the new ROM should boot after installation.
If you stumble upon any other roadblocks, then you should ask for more help in comments below. I will try to come up with a viable solution for any problem that you might have in installing the new Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB MR1 build 4 on your HTC ONE XL.