Flash Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 custom ROM for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3
AOKP JB Milestone Release 1 build number 4 is available for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 and now you can learn how to install it using the info I’ve listed below. Read the entire post and you should manage to complete the update in no time. Remember to use this post only if your device is rooted as otherwise you won’t be able to flash new custom ROMs on your phone.
To make sure that you can installed the update at the first attempt, read the preparation guide below:
- use this post only for the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3. The guide won’t work with any other Android smartphone.
- Install the update only in case your device is rooted and it has a custom Recovery installed on it.
- Create NANDROID backup of your current ROM before installing the new one.
- Backup all your important data by moving it on your phone’s internal SD card. If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs and APN internet settings using the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Root is required for some of these tools.
- Remember to sync the Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user. Don’t blame us in case you lose any important data or in case you brick the smartphone.
- Enable USB Debugging option.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery is charged. This will prevent the device from powering down when you’re installing the new ROM.
- Read the entire post and ask for guidance by leaving a comment at the end of this post.
NOTE: In case your phone is running on a AOKP JB ROM, then you can skip the actions listed under step 5, as a factory reset is not needed if you install a newer version of the custom ROM.
These were all the instructions that you had to go over before getting to the tutorial. Don’t skip any steps that I have listed below as that will result in failed updating attempt.
How to update T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.2.2 AOKP Jelly Bean build 4 custom ROM:
- Download the ROM from HERE or HERE. Save the file from PC and don’t unzip.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 from HERE. You have to flash this ROM in order to get all the Google-based apps installed on your computer. Save the file on PC and don’t unzip its contents.
- Connect the SGS3 to computer and then copy the downloaded files on its internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the device and then boot it into CWM Recovery Mode. It can be done by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power, after the screen appears you will see a new menu and you should press Volume Up to confirm that you want to boot into CWM recovery Mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm. NOTE: If your phone is running a custom AOKP JB ROM then you can choose to skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB build 4 custom ROM and install it.
- When the custom ROM is flashed you should select again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Select the ‘Gapps’ zip and confirm the installation.
- Return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode and then select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now wait until the first boot process of this new ROM completes. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Take control over your device once again and then you can begin testing the OS.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you should power off the device completely. After that you need to repeat the entire tutorial once again and the second time you have to make sure that you apply the actions listed under step 5. Eventually you should manage to complete the installation without problems.
In case you cannot boot with this new ROM after trying to install the new ROM multiple times, then you can choose to restore the backup of the previous ROM using the ClockworkMod Recovery. Also, use CWM Recovery to restore the backup in case you don’t like how your phone works with the AOKP JB MR1 Build 4 ROM.
This is a ROM that is based on the Android 4.2.2 and it should improve the overall performances of your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3.