SlimBean ROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP has been launched for the Samsung Galaxy S2 AT&T. Read this entire post in order to successfully flash this custom ROM on your device without bricking it.
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Update has been launched months ago, but Samsung hasn’t managed to update their devices with it, which is ROM developers continue to release custom ROMs based on Google’s latest Android OS. So, remember that this is not an official update and it is not released by Samsung nor AT&T.
This new custom ROM is based on the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP and it borrows components from other ROMs such as CyanogenMod and AOKP. Learn more about the SlimBean ROMs by visiting their web site here.
In order to make sure that you successfully update your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with this new custom ROM, then you should take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, the AT&T model.
- Do not attempt to update any other devices using the files listed in this article.
- Your device has to be rooted and factory unlocked.
- Also, it needs the CWM or TWRP Recovery to be installed on it, as otherwise you won’t be able to install the custom ROM files.
- A factory reset is required for this new ROM to install successfully. This means that system partition data will be removed, installed apps data, sms, call logs info and other similar data should be backed up.
- Backup data from installed applications with these tools for Android: Helium or Titanium Backup.
- SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings can be saved using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.Root access is needed for these apps.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM. This will set a restore point for your device, and it can be used in case doesn’t boot with the new ROM or in case you don’t like how your device works with the new features.
- Read this entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- This is a guide for more advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case the device gets bricked or you lose important data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with SlimBean Jelly Bean 4.3 Stable ROM:
- Download the latest zip file of SlimBean JB 4.3 ROM from here.
- Download Slim-Gapps zip from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC, then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied, disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the SkyRocket phone in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently running on your device.
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option then create and save the backup file to your device’s internal sdcard.
– TWRP: press Backup, select the files you wish to save, then confirm.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset':
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm
– TWRP: press Wipe button then use the Factory Reset option. Confirm.
> do not skip this step.
- Now you should flash the custom ROM zip file:
– CWM: use ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Confirm this process.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the ROM zip and load it into TWRP. Confirm its installation.
> do not press any buttons while this new ROM installs.
- When the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM is flashed you will need to repeat step 8 actions in order to flash the Slim-Gapps file as well.
- After both zip files are installed, return to the main recovery screen.
- Reboot your device into normal mode and then take control over it by entering your default Google Account details.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully update your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket device with the latest Stable build of SlimBean Android 4.3 Custom ROM.
In case the installation doesn’t complete at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial by making sure that you don’t skip any steps that are listed above. If you cannot complete the update, then you can always ask for extra help by leaving a detailed comment at the end of this post.
If you don’t like this new ROM or in case your device doesn’t run better with it, then you can always restore it to its previous ROM using the files created in step.
Remember that this is a custom Android 4.3 ROM that is smaller than all the other popular ROMs. It needs less power and it shouldn’t make your phone run slow. However, there are tons of other things that might make your phone slow.