Android 4.3 Jelly Bean has been officially announced and released yesterday. Now, some developers have already begun to work on releasing custom ROM based on it. Use this tutorial to learn how to flash the custom Android 4.3 JB OTA-like ROM for your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
If you plan on installing this ROM on your device, then you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
- do not attempt to update any other Android device using the files you find here.
- your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as TWRP or CWM.
- this post contains instructions on how you can flash the new ROM using both TWRP and CWM Recovery mode.
- before installing the new ROM, use the Custom Recovery Mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This file will act as a backup file and it can be used in case something goes wrong such the device getting bricked or the new OS doesn’t boot into normal mode.
- in the how-to part of this post you will find a step that asks you to wipe data and factory reset your device, confirm that process.
- factory reset will remove all contents from your device’s /system partition, all installed apps and other similar data will be removed in the process.
- use an app from Google Play Store to backup installed app data.
- if you want to backup SMS, Call Logs info or APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will have to be granted for some of these apps.
- sync your Contacts with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then you can choose to follow the instructions listed here.
- enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before switching off. In case the phone powers off in the middle of the updating process, you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- this guide is mostly destined to be used by advanced users.
- don’t blame us in case you brick your phone or you lose any important data.
- make sure to read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and ask for more help in comments if you cannot complete the installation.
- more info about this ROM can be found at RootWiki web page here.
Now that you know all that, get to the more important part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with a custom ROM based on Google’s latest Jelly Bean build.
How to install Android 4.3 OTA-like custom ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the ROM from here.
> save the file on your PC and don’t unzip the contents.
- Connect your VZW Galaxy Nexus with your computer using the USB data cable.
- Move the ROM zip file onto your device’s internal SDcard. After the file is copied successfully, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into Bootloader Mode like this: press and hold at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power.
> release the buttons when the Bootloader menu shows up.
- Use the volume buttons now to highlight RECOVERY option. Press Power to boot into custom Recovery Mode.
> note that this guide will work with both CWM and TWRP Recovery.
- When you’re at the main Recovery Mode menu you will need to create a NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM.
> for CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ and then create the backup.
> for TWRP: press Backup and then confirm the process.
- Next, you will need to apply ‘factory reset’:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP: press ‘Wipe’ and from the new menu press ‘Factory Reset’. Confirm.
- Install the ROM zip like this:
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘Android 4.3 ROM by baldwinguy77′ ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
> for TWRP: press ‘Install’. Browse your phone’s internal SD card storage for the ROM zip file. Confirm.
- When the files are successfully flashed, return to the main Recovery Mode screen. Reboot the phone.
- Wait several minutes for the first boot process to load all new files and then enter your Google Account details. That’s how you will take control over all your phone’s functions and features.
- Test the new OS, check for new Android 4.3 features and customize your home screen, lock screen and other parts of the UI.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash this custom ROM.