The latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean has been launched a few days ago and, it has already been distributed as an OTA Update for some Galaxy Nexus smartphone all around the world. This post is destined to be used by Galaxy Nexus owners who didn’t get the new OTA Update to Jelly Bean 4.3 until now.
If you’re tired of waiting then you should follow the instructions that I have listed in this post and you will learn how to successfully update your phone.
This tutorial helps you flash the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V without losing any data files nor needing to root your device. Also, this guide can be used by those of you who are currently running a custom ROM or any other customization file on the Galaxy Nexus phone. This tutorial will work with both Takju and Yakju variants of the GNex device.
The ‘takju’ variant of Galaxy Nexus I9250 is the model bought from Google Play Store with Google Wallet.
The ‘yakju’ variant of Galaxy Nexus I9250 is the International model.
Below you will find two methods that you can use to flash the new Android 4.3 JWR66V OTA Update for your Galaxy Nexus takju / yakju. The first method is destined to be used on Galaxy Nexus devices that are running full stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39..
The second method should be used in case the first method fails, you bricked the phone or you’re not currently running a stock Android 4.2.2 ROM and instead your device is on a custom ROM. No data files will be lost in either process. However, before getting to the tutorials, check the other guidelines below:
- don’t attempt to use the files you find here on any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it.
- make sure that you have the Android SDK installed on your computer. Download it from here if you don’t have that.
> you will need the latest build of adb and fastboot for this guide to work.
- enable the USB Debugging option from your phone’s Developer Options menu. It can be found under Settings.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it before starting the update.
- this is a tutorial that should be used by advanced Android users.
- in case you cannot complete the guide then you should ask for more help in comments.
- do not blame us in case you lose any data or you brick the phone in the process.
- read the entire guide first and don’t skip any steps.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this post. Use the 1st method if your device is running 100% stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean JDQ39 firmware OS.
METHOD 1: Flash Android 4.3 JWR66V OTA Update for Galaxy Nexus ‘takju’ / ‘yakju’ using adb sideload:
- Download the official JDQ39 to JWR66V OTA zip:
> download the zip from here for ‘takju’ model.
> download the zip from here for ‘yakju’ model.
- Power off your Galaxy Nexus completely.
- Next, boot it into Fastboot / bootloader Mode.
> do it by pressing and holding at the same time Volume Up, Volume Down and Power. Release the buttons when the Bootloader Mode appears.
- When your device is in Bootloader Mode you will the START text. Press Volume Up until it says RECOVERY and then press Power to boot into Recovery Mode.
> when you get to the Recovery Menu you might see the ‘No Command’ menu, which is why you will need to press and hold Power, then Volume Up and the Recovery Menu will now appear.
- Next, select ‘apply update from adb’ from the Recovery Menu.
- Now you have to connect your smartphone with your PC using the USB data cable.
- Next, launch the Command Prompt window in the same directory that you have the downloaded the takju / yakju zip file.
- Enter the following lines in order to push the new firmware Android 4.3 JWR66V update for your device:
> for Galaxy Nexus takju: adb sideload cda87c8b9eebf8b1fd2b1d31757e542c4eafdb09.signed-takju-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.cda87c8b
> for Galaxy Nexus ‘yakju': adb sideload 6c7ff815e7762f651ad6f8c74e5cb281093f1e0b.signed-yakju-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.6c7ff815
- A progress bar will now appear when it reaches 100%, the smartphone will begin to install the new Android 4.3 JB OTA Update.
- When the installation is complete, reboot your smartphone and start testing the new OS.
That’s how you flash an OTA Update using Android SDK, fastboot and adb sideload.
In case the instructions listed above didn’t work, then you should try the 2nd method below. Also, use the method below in case your device is currently running custom ROM or any other customization files.
METHOD 1: Flash Android 4.3 JWR66V OTA Update for Galaxy Nexus ‘takju’ / ‘yakju’
Using this method you will learn how to successfully flash only bootloader, radio, kernel – the boot.img – and the system images of Android 4.3 on your device. So, you will skip any data wiping. Make sure not to skip any steps.
- Download the Android 4.3 factory images using the links below:
> download the complete Jelly Bean 4.3 factory image zip for Galaxy Nexus takju from here.
> download the complete JB 4.3 factory image zip for Galaxy Nexus yakju from here.
- After the download is complete, unzip the ‘tgz’ factory image archive and place the contents into a single folder.
> also, make sure to unzip the other zip files that you will find after unpacking the ‘tgz’ archive.
- Power off your smartphone and boot into Bootloader Mode just like you did in Method 1 – Step 3.
- Use the USB data cable to connect your device with your PC.
- Launch a CMD Window where you unzipped the files you downloaded previously.
- In order to flash the new firmware update, then you will need to enter the following commands in CMD window:
> adb reboot bootloader
> fastboot flash bootloader bootloader*.img -> the ‘bootloader*’ should be changed to the name of the bootloader image you downloaded.
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlj1.img
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash system system.img
> fastboot flash boot boot.img
> fastboot format cache
> fastboot reboot
- The first boot process of the new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will take a while before completing.
After the phone completes reboot, you will see its home screen and you can start testing the new firwmare. If you have problems with the second method, then you should use this XDA thread here for more information.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully upgrade your Galaxy Nexus I9250 takju / yakju firmware version. Note that this guide has revoked any root access that your device might have had until now. Check back and visit the Root section of our web site, as we will post a guide that teaches you how to successfully root the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
For any extra questions, use the comments section below.