The Galaxy S4 Zoom device has received its own Android 4.4.2 KitKat update and you can use this tutorial if you want to learn how to manually install it.
All the Galaxy S4 Zoom devices should automatically receive the new Android OS update, but not all are getting the firmware at the same time which is why you might want to use our tutorial below in order to apply the installation. More info about this release can be found here.
Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom device model number SM – C101.
– do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post in case the C101 model number is not listed.
– check the model number under Settings> About device menu.
- install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– Developer Options also has to be enabled at first.
– info here on how to enable USB Debugging and Developer Options options.
- disable KIES and any antivirus apps from running on your computer.
– these applications might attempt to block ODIN3 v3.09 from installing the new official update.
- if your Galaxy S4 Zoom is rooted, then this update will revoke its root access.
– in case you have a custom Recovery it will be replaced with a stock Recovery.
- if your device runs a custom ROM, then the update can be installed but you will lose data from its system partition.
– also, users with custom ROM’s installed on their devices will be forced to apply a ‘factory reset’, more info is listed at the end of this article.
- save data from installed apps using Helium app for Android.
– sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- check your battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- do not blame Android.gs in case you brick the device nor in case you end up losing any important data in the process.
- read the whole guide and make sure that you won’t skip any steps.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this article.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 C101XXUBNF4 for Galaxy S4 Zoom:
- Download C101XXUBNF4 Android 4.4.2 zip file from here.
- Extract the contents of the zip and you will obtain a C101XXUBNF4 tar.md5 file. Don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents of this zip on your PC.
- Power off the Galaxy S4 Zoom.
- Boot your device in Download Mode.
– it can be done by pressing Volume Down, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when the Android Download Mode appears.
- Launch Odin 3.09 exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone with your PC via USB cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the phone.
– if the phone is not detected, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Return to Odin 3.09 screen.
- Click the ‘AP’ button.
- Load the ‘C101XXUBNF4 tar.md5′ file and load it in Odin.
– make sure that Re-Partition option is not enabled.
– don’t edit other default Odin settings.
- Hit the START button when everything is ready for the update.
– wait until all Android 4.4.2 files are successfully installed.
- After all files are flashed you will see confirmation from ODIN and the phone will reboot in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use you login detail in order to start testing the brand new KitKat 4.4.2 firmware on your Galaxy S4 Zoom.
I hope that you did complete the update and that now you’re testing all of its new features.
If the update failed then you might find a solution below. Also, make sure to use the comments field in case you need any extra help.
If Odin fails the update, it freezes or your device doesn’t install all files, then you might want to re-check the guidelines above the tutorial. Also, make sure to repeat the whole tutorial without skipping any steps.
In case Odin display the ‘PASS’ alert, but the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will be forced to apply a full factory reset. This step should also be used by those that have tried to flash the Android 4.4.2 official stock ROM update over a custom ROM.
Here’s how to apply ‘factory reset’ for your device:
- power off the Galaxy S4 Zoom completely.
- next, boot it in Recovery Mode.
– do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power, all at the same time.
– release the buttons when the home screen of this new ROM loads.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- confirm process.
- reboot the device in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the update of your device.