All the major Canadian Carriers have released the official VLUDNF1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firwmare updates for the Black Edition Galaxy Note 2 I317M smartphones.
Use this tutorial in case the official OTA Update notification hasn’t arrived in your location.
Before starting the updating process you should take a look at our guidelines below, so that you will learn how to successfully install the brand new KitKat build. Here’s what you need to know:
- use the tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, Kodoo and SaskTel Canadian Carriers.
- all these devices should have the model number set to SGH – I317M.
- don’t try to update any other Note 2 devices with a different model number.
- install the USB Drivers for your Samsung device on your computer before getting to the tutorial.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can check for help in this guide here -> that’s a guide for Galaxy S5, but it works with all Android devices.
- make sure that you have disabled Samsung KIES and the antivirus app if there is any installed.
- these apps might block Odin from installing new firmware updates on your device.
- Odin is the tool that you will use to flash the update.
- if you have rooted your Note 2 I317M device, then this update will revoke all its root access.
- also, any custom Recovery that might be installed on it will be replaced with a stock Recovery from Samsung.
- if your Galaxy Note 2 I317M currently has a custom ROM installed on it, then you need to know that the updating process will remove all data from its system partition.
- also, after installing the new stock firmware over a custom ROM, then you will need to apply an extra step to ‘factory reset’ the device from Recovery Mode -> this step is listed at the end of the post.
- if you install over stock devices you are fine and no ‘factory reset’ is needed.
- in case you wish to save some data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other files you can use Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account, too.
- make sure to check your phone’s battery charge level for it to be over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off during update.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any important data in the process.
Since you’ve gone past all of the important guidelines you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your device.
How to install I317MVLUDNF1 Android 4.4.2 Update for Galaxy Note 2 I317M:
- Download the I317MVLUDNF1 KitKat firmware zip from the links below. Get the file that corresponds to your Note 2 I317M carrier:
- Rogers (Canada) (Black Edition)
- Bell Mobile (Canada) (Black Edition)
- Telus (Canada) (Black Edition)
- Virgin Mobile (Canada) (Black Edition)
- Kodoo Mobile (Canada) (Black Edition)
- SaskTel (Canada) (Black Edition)
- After the download is complete you should extract the content of the zip and save it on your computer.
- you will obtain a file named I317MVLUDNF1 with tar.md5 extension.
- don’t extract any further than that.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 zip.
- extract the contents of the zip and save the files on your computer.
- Power off your Galaxy Note 2 I317M device now.
- Boot the smartphone in Download Mode.
- Open Odin3 v3.09 on your computer.
- Use the USB cable and connect the phone to PC.
- wait for Odin to recognize the device and after that continue to the next step.
- if the phone is not detected, then you should re-install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Now you can begin the Galaxy Note 2 I317M update to Android 4.4.2. Go back to Odin screen.
- Click on the ‘AP’ button.
- Load the I317MVLUDNF1 tar.md5 file in Odin.
- this is the same file you’ve extracted in step 2.
- make sure that ‘Re-Partition’ option in Odin is disabled.
- don’t edit other default Odin settings.
- Hit the START button when you’re ready to begin the updating process of your Galaxy Note 2 device.
- the update will take somewhere around ten minutes to complete, do not press any buttons until all files are successfully installed.
- When the tutorial is complete you will see your device rebooting in normal mode and then you can take control over its new features using your default Odin settings.
The first reboot process after the installation is complete will take a while to load all files which is why you should wait until it loads the phone’s home screen.
In case the update fails or you find it difficult to complete the tutorial, then you can ask for more help in comments. Also, you can check the ‘notes’ below and you might find a solution for your problem.
You can close this guide if the Galaxy Note 2 I317M was updated successfully to Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware.
If Odin fails to complete the update by freezing or it displays some kind of error, then you will need to try and repeat the entire process more than once.
Make sure to read the entire post and don’t skip any steps if you repeat the guide.
In case Odin tells you that the update process was completed with success, but your Galaxy Note 2 refuses to boot in normal mode or it enters in boot loop, then you will have to apply a ‘factory reset’ from Recovery Mode.
Also, the ‘factory reset’ task should be applied by Galaxy Note 2 users that have installed the Android 4.4.2 stock update over a custom ROM.
Here’s how to apply Factory Reset for your Galaxy Note 2 I317M: power off the phone completely, then boot it in Recovery Mode. Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm process.
After that you simply need to reboot the device in normal mode and you’re done.