Flash Android 4.4 KitKat KRT16S stock Factory Image for Google Nexus 4
Google has released the official Factory image of Android 4.4 KitKat for the Google Nexus 4 device. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully flash the full Stock KitKat OS, but note that you will risk losing every single data file that’s currently stored on your phone. This is a guide for advanced Android users only.
In order to be able to install such Android 4.4 KitKat Factory Image and update your Nexus 4, then you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use only the Google Nexus 4 with this tutorial.
- Your computer should have the Android SDK installed on it.
- Download it from here.
- Install the files in your computer’s C partition under SDK folder. The Platform-tools will contain the adb and fastboot drivers you’ll use to push the KitKat firmware to your phone.
- leave the platform-tools folder opened on your PC.
- Make sure that you have the USB data cable nearby.
- Check the phone’s battery power level and make sure that there is at least 50% left before it completely drains.
- IMPORTANT: this guide will all wipe data from your Nexus 4, as you will need to unlock the bootloader.
- install it at your own risk.
- if the device is already running on an unlocked bootloader, then you can skip data wipe process and avoid losing all files.
- if the Nexus 4 has an unlocked bootloader and you choose not to wipe its data, then you should know that the phone might not boot in normal mode even if you do that. If this is the case, then you will have to apply ‘data wipe’ to force it to boot Android 4.4 KitKat.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case your lose any important files or in case you brick the Nexus 4.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if Developer Options menu doesn’t show up in Settings, then you need to open the ‘About phone’ section. Scroll down to Build Number and tap seven times on Build Number to enable the hidden menu.
- Read the entire tutorial first and don’t skip any steps.
- If you cannot complete the guide then you can ask for more help in comments.
How to unlock Google Nexus 4 Bootloader via “adb”:
If your device doesn’t run on an unlocked bootloader, then you will need to follow these instructions:
- Connect your phone with your PC via USB cable.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder under SDK.
- Press and hold Shift on your keyboard while at the same time you right-click on the folder’s white space.
- Select ‘open command prompt window here’ from the right-click context menu.
- Next, type in the command prompt window the following line: adb devices
- this will detect your Nexus 4 and you can continue to the next step.
- Now, type in this line: adb reboot bootloader
- remember that this after this step you will end up wiping all data from your phone, which is why you should consider backing up any important data files before continuing to the next step.
- To unlock bootloader type in this line: fastboot oem unlock
- Press Enter and then select the ‘YES’ option shown on your Nexus 4. Press Power to confirm process and you will be taken to the main Bootloader menu.
- Leave the phone in Bootloader Mode.
- Continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash the KitKat factory image.
How to flash Official Android 4.4 KitKat Factory Image for Nexus 4:
- Download the complete Android 4.4 KRT16s factory image zip from here.
- save the file on your computer.
- Extract the ‘occam krt16s factory’ zip contents to your computer.
- Copy all the extracted files and past them in the SDK/ Platform-tools folder.
- IMPORTANT: This step should be followed by those of you who owned a Nexus 4 that had its bootloader unlocked before finding this guide.
- use a Text Editor and right-click on the flash-all.bat (Windows PC) / flash-all.sh (Mac/Linux) to edit it. Make sure not to run the file by accident.
->now, delete the “-w” from the fastboot update line.
- that “-w” line is the command that tells fastboot to wipe your phone.
- save the edited file and continue to the next step.
- Now, you will need to open a Command Prompt window in the Platform-tools folder.
- Enter the following command line to flash the new Android 4.4 KitKat:
- press Enter and wait for the installation to complete.
- The installation of Android 4.4 KitKat takes several minutes to complete, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until every file is flashed successfully.
- When the install is complete, your phone will reboot in normal mode and then you can close Command Prompt and disconnect it from your computer.
- Enter your Google Account details to take control over your Nexus 4 and Android 4.4 KitKat OS.
These were all the steps you had to follow in order to unlock bootloader and flash the official stock Android 4.4 KRT16s Factory Image.
Check and confirm that the installation was complete by opening Settings menu, then go to About Phone and check the Android Version, it should say 4.4, which confirms that the update was applied correctly. Now you’re free to test the new OS.
If you can’t complete this guide, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Also, you might find this YouTube ‘how-to flash Android 4.4 KK Factory Image for Nexus 4′ helpful — link here.
The guide above doesn’t install any custom Recovery nor it roots your device, which is why you will need to read this other tutorial here and learn how to do it manually.