Samsung KOREA is currently pushing the new Android 7.0 Nougat official update over-the-air for all their Galaxy S7 users.
If you are an advanced user who is looking to manually upgrade their phone, then all the info you need can be found below. Below you can find the ODIN app and the Android 7.0 Nougat update file for Galaxy S7 phones.
This new official update is being rolled out in stages, which means that not all users are getting them at the same time as others. Also, note that those that were running a custom ROM on their phones are capable of using ODIN to update their devices, too.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S7 following models: G930S, G930K and G930L.
– do not attempt to flash any firmware update files for other different models.
– check the version of your phone under Settings> About Phone section.
- do not try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- install Samsung USB Drivers from here on your computer.
– the usb drivers will allow your PC to detect the phone when these two are connected via usb cable.
- for the installation of Android 7.0 Nougat update you will have to use the ODIN app.
– for the ODIN app to open on your computer you have to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if you cannot find Developer Options, then you have to unhide this menu first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Firmware Version Number section.
– return to Settings menu, open Developer Options and then find USB Debugging to enable it.
- in case your phone is rooted, then root access won’t survive the update process.
– root access will be lost in the process.
– any custom Recovery you might have installed on your phone will also be replaced with stock Recovery.
- you can use ODIN to upgrade (restore) your phone to stock Android 7.0 from custom ROMs, too.
If you install the new update over a custom ROM, then you will need to Factory Reset the device after the files are flashed.
– the factory reset steps are going to wipe clean system partition, the custom ROM will be removed completely.
– no data from internal storage will be wiped in the process.
– note that the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
- in case your Galaxy S7 Korea model is running 100% stock Android firmware, then you need to know that no data will be removed from the device.
- this is a guide that you should use only if you are an advanced user.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
Now that you know all that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to manually update your phone.
How to flash Android 7.0 Nougat for Samsung Galaxy S7 G930S, G930K and G930L:
- Download Android 7.0 Nougat firmware archive for Korean Galaxy S7 models from the links below:
Android 7.0 for SK Telecom G930S Galaxy S7 download here.
Android 7.0 for LG Uplus G930L Galaxy S7 download here.
Android 7.0 for KT Corporation G930K Galaxy S7 download here.
- After the download is done you can unzip the contents and save them on your PC.
You will obtain the updating file with a tar.md5 extension, that you shouldn’t extract. Save the update file on your computer.
- Download ODIN 3.12.3 zip from here.
Unzip the contents when the download is done.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your device in Download Mode.
- Open ODIN exe on your computer and then connect the phone to PC.
Wait until ODIN detects the phone.
Reinstall Samsung USB drivers if ODIN doesn’t add the phone.
- Return to ODIN main menu and click AP.
- Find and load the Android 7.0 Nougat tar.md5 updating file corresponding to your Galaxy S7 device.
- Hit the START button to begin the Android 7.0 Nougat for your phone.
– don’t press any buttons until the update is done.
- When all files are done installing you can see the PASS alert shown by the ODIN app. The phone will then reboot.
- Unplug the Galaxy S7 from computer and use your default login info to unlock the device.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete the update of your device.
In case the FAIL message is shown by the ODIN app you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you decide to repeat installation you have to make sure that your device meets all requirements, and that you won’t be skipping any steps listed above.
If the PASS message is shown in ODIN, but the phone gets stuck at the boot animation for more than 20 minutes or it enters in a boot loop you have to factory reset the device.
The Factory Reset steps below should be applied by advanced users only, as the data from system partition will be deleted in the process.
The Factory Reset process can be applied by those that have installed the Android 7.0 update with ODIN over custom ROMs, too. The process will delete the system partition, and it will force your device to boot in normal mode.
Here’s how to factory reset the phone:
- power off the device.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot the device in normal mode.
If you need more help completing the guide you can tell us in comments.