Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to install AOKP 4.4.4 KitKat for your Google Nexus 4 device.
With AOKP KitKat Nightlies ROM you will get the stock Android 4.4.4 along with numerous additional features like LED Control, Vibration patterns, custom toggles support, Ribbon, Navigation Ring and more.
If you want to install one of the most popular custom ROMs on your Nexus 4 smartphone, then you should first read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Google Nexus 4 smartphone.
– don’t try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your Nexus 4 device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM / TWRP Recovery image.
– both custom Recovery variants will work with this guide.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra steps:
– NANDROID ROM Backup: it sets a restore point for your device, one that should allow you to repair your phone in case the new ROM isn’t installing correctly.
– Factory Reset: this will wipe the system partition clean and it allows you to install fresh the AOKP 4.4.4 KitKat Nightly ROM.
– the ‘factory reset’ doesn’t remove any photos or files from your device, it just deletes data from the previous ROM: installed apps and such.
- if you want to save data from installed apps, SMS or other similar files, then you should use Helium app for Android.
– Contacts should be synced with your default Gmail account.
- read the whole guide, don’t skip any steps and you should be able to complete the installation at your first attempt.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick your phone.
- make sure that the Nexus 4 battery charge level is over 50% before starting the update, you wouldn’t want for your phone to switch off in the middle of the installation process.
Get to the next step if you’re ready to install a brand new custom ROM for your phone.
How to install AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly ROM for Nexus 4:
- Download the AOKP ‘mako’ KitKat Nighlty ROM from here or here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Move all these files on to your phone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press the Backup button.
– set a file name and confirm process.
- Now apply the Nexus 4 Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe option.
- Start the installation of AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly on your Nexus 4:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
– find the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly ROM file and confirm the installation.
- Now you can flash Gapps zip, too. Use the same actions as in step 7.
- When all files are installed you can reboot your phone in normal mode.
- Note that the first boot process will take a while before it loads all new files. Use your Google info in order to take control over your device completely.
If the tutorial fails at your first attempt, then you shouldn’t panic: make sure to re-read the whole guide, check to see if your Nexus 4 meets all requirements and don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
For extra help you should use the comments field below.