The AOKP team has started to implement Android 4.4.4 in their latest Nightly builds for the Galaxy S4 Mini I9195. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your device to a custom Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM.
If you want to learn more about AOKP and their work then you can visit their blog website here. With this new custom ROM you will get all the KitKat features as well as some extra features added by the AOKP team, features such as Heads Up Notifications, auto immersive mode.
Read all the info that is listed below, but make sure that you know what you’re doing. There are tons of thing that could go wrong which is why you should use this post only if you are an advanced Android user. The Nightly builds are usually buggy and it takes time and multiple consecutive builds until we will get a stable release, so you should install a Nightly AOKP 4.4.4 for testing purposes only.
Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the preparation guidelines below:
- use the tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini model number I9195.
- check your phone’s model number under Settings> About Device.
- if the model number isn’t I9195 then you shouldn’t use this guide as it won’t work.
- for this guide to work your Galaxy S4 Mini will need to be on a rooted firmware and the latest CWM / TWRP Recovery has to be installed on it.
- if your phone doesn’t feature the latest custom Recovery build that’s designed for Android 4.4.x ROMs, then the tutorial will not work.
- during the installation you will be forced to apply a factory reset which means that you will lose all data from the system partition.
- also, before applying ‘factory reset’ you will need to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup.
- don’t skip these steps.
- in case you want to backup some data from your phone’s installed apps, SMS text messages or from any other part of the device then you can use Helium tool for Android.
- sync the Contacts data info with your default Gmail account, so that after installation you will add the same account and all Contacts will be restored with success.
- this is a tutorial that should be used by advanced Android users, do not try to install a custom ROM if you’re a novice.
- note that we cannot be held responsible in case the phone gets bricked in the process nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- check the smartphone’s battery charge level, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
Since you’ve read all of the above now you can continue to the next part of this post.
Flash the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightlies for Galaxy S4 Mini I9195:
- Download the latest Nightly build from AOKP Galaxy S4 Mini device web page here.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via USB Data cable.
- move the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly and the Gapps zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- if you’ve downloaded the files directly to your phone, then you should ignore this step.
- Disconnect the device from PC and then power it off completely.
- Boot your Galaxy S4 Mini in custom Recovery Mode.
- First you need to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a backup for the current ROM.
- TWRP: press Backup, set a name for the file swipe across the screen to confirm.
> this process sets a restore point for your smartphone.
- Now you need to apply the Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm.
> do not skip this step.
- Install the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightlies for your device now:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- TWRP: press Install.
> find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
- Do not press any buttons until the new custom ROM is flashed and after that repeat step 8 action in order to install the Gapps zip, too.
- Get back to the main custom Recovery mode and reboot your smartphone in normal mode.
> do not press any buttons until the Galaxy S4 Mini completes the first boot process with AOKP 4.4.4 Nightlies.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully complete the installation of AOKP 4.4.4 Nightlies.
Note that in case your device doesn’t boot in normal mode after all files are flashed, then you should try to repeat the entire process more than once by making sure that you won’t skip any steps.
If you need any extra help, then you should use the comments field below.