Official Android 4.4.4 custom ROM Nightlies from AOKP are now live for the Verizon variant of Galaxy S3.
Use this post if you want to learn how to successfully install it on your device without bricking its firmware. In this release you can find all the latest stock Android 4.4.4 features as well as some other additional tweaks and features added by the AOKP team. More info about their work can be found here.
If you want to know how to prepare your phone for the update, then you can read the guidelines below
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon variant ‘d2vzw’.
– do not try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM / TWRP Recovery.
- before installing the new ROM you will need to apply two extra additional steps, both are listed in the tutorial and you shouldn’t miss them.
– the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a full restore point for your device.
– the Factory Reset will wipe the data left behind by your previous ROM.
– however, if you are currently running a previous AOKP 4.4.x Nightly build, then you can skip these steps.
- if you need to save data from apps or other files then you can use Helium app for Android.
– Contacts and People details can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- read this entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- this guide is for advanced users.
- do not blame us in case you brick the phone.
- check the battery level of your Galaxy S3 VZW and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent it from switching off during installation.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly for Verizon Galaxy S3:
- Download the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly zip ROM file from here or here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files on to your phone’s internal storage.
– disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied.
– if you’ve used your phone to download the files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Now boot your Galaxy S3 VZW in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First you have to apply a NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: Select the ‘backup and restore’ option.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– create a file name for the restore point and confirm process.
- Now apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm the process.
- Start the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly ROM for Galaxy S3 VZW now:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
– find the zip file and confirm the installation.
- When the ROM is finally installed you can use the same actions as in step 8 in order to flash the Gapps zip.
- When all files are flashed you can return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
– the first boot process of AOKP 4.4.4 KitKat will take a while before it loads, don’t panic and wait until the home screen appears.
- Use your login details in order to take control over your phone.
If the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly, then you can choose to repeat the tutorial more than once. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that you apply the ‘factory reset’ for your phone.
When all the files are installed you can start testing the new ROM. For extra help use the comments field below.