Flash AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly for Verizon Galaxy Note 2
The official AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nigthly is now available for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Use this guide if you want to learn how to successfully update your device.
This AOKP Nightly build is based on Android 4.4.2, it packs several other elements from CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android besides those created by the AOKP team. More info about AOKP and their work can be found here. There are tons of great features and functions present in this release, but you should also know that the battery life of your phone might suffer after updating to KitKat.
Tell us in comments how is your device working with the new ROM and if you think that the battery life has decreased drastically compared to how it behaved when you had the Jelly Bean ROM installed on it.
In order to successfully install this new ROM you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Verizon model of the Galaxy Note 2.
- the files that you will find in this post won’t work with any other Android devices.
- The Note 2 Verizon that you’re about to update should be rooted and running the latest build of CWM / TWRP Recovery.
- if your phone uses an older version of Custom Recovery, then you won’t be able to flash any new KitKat builds, which is why you have to make sure that you update it.
- It is highly recommended to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- this will create a restore point for your smartphone, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode with AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat for your device.
- this step is listed in the tutorial too.
- A ‘factory reset’ is required for this tutorial and you shouldn’t skip this step.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from your device’s system partition, while it leaves all the other internal / external storage unaffected.
- Factory Reset has to be applied, as otherwise the new ROM will not boot in normal mode.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings with the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- you can use the info listed here in case you don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Your device’s battery should have at least 50% left before the phone switches off.
- Read the entire guide and don’t skip any steps.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- In case you’re having problems completing the installation, then you could ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to flash a custom KitKat ROM in under five minutes.
Remember that this is not an official build released by Verizon nor by Samsung, so you will install it at your own risk.
How to flash AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly for Verizon Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE.
- if you want to download a different build, then follow the link here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from HERE.
- Connect the phone to your PC and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
> do not unzip the contents of the zip file.
- Power off your phone now and then boot it in CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP will work with this guide.
- I’ve tested the guide with CWM, but TWRP will work too if you carefully apply the corresponding options.
- First you will need to apply a NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file and continue to the next step when the backup process is complete.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your Galaxy Note 2 Verizon.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Now you can flash the AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly zip:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, find the ROM zip and confirm its installation.
> don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed.
- Repeat Step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed with success you can get back to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes several minutes to load all the new KitKat custom ROM files, you need to wait until the process is complete before pressing any buttons.
- Enter your Google Account info and take control over your smartphone now.
- now that the new ROM has been flashed you can begin testing all of its features and functions.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash this brand new ROM for your Verizon Galaxy Note 2. I hope that you’ve managed to update the device and that now you’re discovering all of its great customizing tools. Tinker with all the features so that you will get one of the best KitKat experiences.
If the process fails at yours first attempt you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again. If you have other questions, use the comments field below.
NOTE: if you do decide to repeat the guide, then it wold be best not to skip any steps and apply the Factory Reset one. Also, make sure to use the ‘format /system’ option too, so that all the files that belonged to the previous ROM will be wiped in the process.
Also, if you don’t like the new ROM, then you can always choose to restore your device to its previous ROM using the file created in step 5.