The new AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly build is now ready for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your smartphone with the brand new custom ROM.
The Official AOKP KitKat Nightly ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2 builds, it features its own new features and functions as well as some other elements that were imported from CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android custom ROMs. If you want to learn more about this new ROM then you should read the developers web page.
Make sure to read the guidelines below before starting the installation process:
- use this tutorial only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.
- don’t attempt to update any other smartphones with the files that you will find in this article, as you will end up bricking your device.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
- whichever custom Recovery you use you have to make sure that it is updated to its latest version build, as otherwise you cannot flash any new KitKat custom ROMs.
- make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial, as you will need to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed OS along with applying the Factory Reset step.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a copy of the installed ROM and it can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from the system partition, so that you will clean install the new AOKP KitKat Nightly ROM.
- Factory Reset won’t delete the data from internal nor external sdcards.
- backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and other similar files using the Android tool called Helium – here.
- sync People Details and Contact numbers using the guide here.
- this guide is for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick your device or lose any files in the process.
- read the entire tutorial before starting the installation.
- also, make sure to check the battery power level of your device, it has to be over 50%.
- if you have problems with the installation process, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you have read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your device with a new Android 4.4.2 custom ROM.
How to flash AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly for AT&T Galaxy S3:
- Download the custom ROM file from here.
- check the Aokp.co page for newer builds.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect the AT&T Galaxy S3 to your PC, move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from PC.
> do not unzip the files.
- Power off your phone completely, then boot it in CWM / TWRP custom Recovery Mode.
> learn how to boot recovery with this guide if you don’t know how to launch it.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, set a name for the file. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Backup, name the new file, swipe to confirm process.
> do not skip this step.
- Now you can apply Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm process.
> you can skip this step only in case your device already runs on a previous AOKP Kitkat build.
> note: if the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM and you’ve skipped this step, then you will need to return and apply Factory Reset.
- Next, install the new AOKP Android 4.4.2 KK Nightly ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S3:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the ROM zip file. Confirm installation.
- TWRP: press Install, find the ROM zip file and confirm process.
> don’t press any buttons until the install is complete.
- Install Gapps zip too using the Step 7 actions.
- When all files are installed you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- NOTE: the AOKP Nightly KitKat first boot process will take a while to complete, which is why you should wait until the files are loaded.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
- when the boot is complete and you’ve logged in you can finally start testing the new features.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of AOKP Nightly KitKat 4.4.2 ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S3 phone.
If the installation fails at your first attempt you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps in case you decide to repeat the entire guide. For any extra help use the comments field below.