The AOKP Nightly KitKat builds are now live for the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone, and if you follow the instructions that I’ve listed in this post you will learn how to successfully update the device without bricking it.
The AOKP Nightly KitKat ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2, but it also features its own elements and functions along with some other ones borrowed from CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android ROMs. Read more about AOKP by visiting the developing team’s blog page here.
Before starting the installation process you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.
- don’t attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post, as that will probably brick its firmware.
- your device has to be rooted and running the CWM Recovery image.
- the TWRP one should work, too.
- note that whichever custom Recovery you use you will make sure to update it to its latest versions.
- if the custom Recovery image is not updated to its latest build possible, then you cannot flash any new KitKat-based custom ROMs.
- it is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM and then Factory Reset the phone.
- these steps are listed in the tutorial.
- the NANDROID Backup will serve as a restore point, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset will clean the VZW Galaxy S4 /system partition, while the internal and external storage sdcards will not be affected in the process.
- make sure not to skip these steps when you reach them in the tutorial.
- if you want to save data from installed apps, SMS or any other type of files, use the Helium tool for Android – here.
- sync Contacts with your Gmail account.
- guide here on how to do it.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- this guide is for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important files in the process.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone doesn’t switch off before you manage to install all the new custom ROM files.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you should be able to complete the entire guide in under ten minutes.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over, now you’re free to continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom KitKat custom ROM for your smartphone.
How to flash AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for Verizon Galaxy S4:
- Download the ROM zip from here.
- Download the Gapps for KitKat custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- disconnect the phone from PC after the transfer is complete.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your device now.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- recovery can be booted easily, but if you don’t know how to do it read here.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Backup, set a name for the backup and swipe to confirm backup.
> get to the next step when done, don’t skip this step.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your Verizon Galaxy S4:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm Factory Reset.
- do not skip this step.
> note: if your device already runs on a previous build of AOKP KitKat Nightly, then you can skip the Factory Reset.
- Now you can flash the brand new AOKP ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the ROM file. Swipe to confirm installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the device completes the update.
- Install Gapps file when the ROM is installed, do it using the same options as in step 8.
- Return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery when all files are installed successfully.
- Reboot the Verizon Galaxy S4 in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process will take a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Use your Google Account info to login into AOKP Android 4.4.2.
- now you can start testing all the new features.
I hope that you did manage to complete the installation of this new ROM. If you need any extra help you can use the comments field.
Note that in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you can try to repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you won’t skip any other steps that I’ve listed above. Also, if the ROM boots, but you don’t like how it runs on your VZW Galaxy S4, then you can use the file created in step 6 and restore the phone to its previous operating system state.