AOKP JB nightlies have reached the first milestone and now you can install it on your AT&T Galaxy S3 with help from this guide. It is an official AOKP ROM that brings several bugs fixes, but more importantly, it is the first release that is labelled as ‘stable’ and you should really give it a try.
It is based on Android 4.1.2 and this update mostly brings error fixes and some other elements that were missing in previous releases. If you’re planning to install this custom ROM over another AOKP JB build, then you can do it without ‘wiping data or factory reset your device’. In case your phone is running another ROM then you will need to factory reset hte AT&T Galaxy S3 and that is why you have to read the pre-requisites guide before beginning the installation.
Now that you know all the above general instructions, move to the next part of this post and learn what you need to do before flashing the AOKP JB M1 on your Galaxy S3 AT&T. Here it is:
- It is compatible only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Do not attempt to flash these files on any other variant of Galaxy S3 because you might damage it.
- Your phone should be on an unlocked bootloader. Also, the device needs to be rooted and running CWM Recovery. Without these you cannot flash the new custom ROM.
- Use ROM Manager app and create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM, so that you’ll be covered in case the update damages something or you lose any data in the process.
- If you’re planning to save SMS, Call Logs info, APN Internet Settings or a list of installed apps, then you should try using the following Android apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- In order to save your Contacts, sync them with the Gmail account you’re using to control your smartphone.
- Enable the option called USB debugging from your phone’s settings menu.
- Also, the phone battery power levels should be over 50%. This will make sure that the smartphone will stay ON during the update process.
- We cannot be blamed if you damage your device. Also, make sure that you know what you’re doing so that you won’t any important data after installing this new update.
- All instructions in this post should be read and only when you think that you can complete this tutorial, you should move to the next section of this post. The updating process shouldn’t take more than five minutes to install the AOKP JB M1 ROM, which is why this guide has to be applied by an advanced Android user.
These are all the extra instructions you had to read. Now move to the ‘how-to’ guide and flash the custom ROM on your device.
How to flash AOKP JB Milestone 1 custom ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3:
- Download this ROM from HERE. Don’t extract the files comprised within the zip.
- Download Gapps for Jelly Bean HERE and proceed just like you did at step 1 without extracting its files.
- Now you have to connect your AT&T SGS3 to computer using the USB cable. Transfer both the ROM and Gapps files on the smartphone’s internal sdcard storage. When the files are moved successfully, unplug the device from computer.
- Power off your phone and after 5 seconds boot it into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- When CWM Recovery mode loads, you need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm that you wish to apply this step. Remember that you should apply this step only if your device is currently on a different ROM. NOTE: In case the AT&T SGS3 you’re about to update is running on a previous AOKP JB ROM, then you can skip this step without the need of factory reset.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse for the AOKP JB M1 zip and when you find it, confirm the installation.
- Repeat step 6 and install the Google apps for Jelly Bean zip. After both files are installed you need to get back to the first menu of CWM Recovery.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option. The first boot with AOKP JB Milestone 1 ROM starts now and it won’t take more than 5 minutes.
- After the boot is complete, the welcoming screen of AOKP JB/ Android 4.1.2 ROM will appear and you need to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps you had to take. Note that in case the first boot doesn’t complete or the phone gets into a boot loop, it means that the update was not successful and you have to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5, but first you need to remove the device’s battery for 4-5 seconds. Re-insert it back and after that you should boot again into CWM Recovery mode and this time make sure to apply the actions listed under step 5.
In case you don’t like how this new ROM runs on your AT&T Galaxy S3, you should use the backup of the previous installed ROM and restore it.
I hope that this guide helped you flash the update. Post all the bugs you find in our comments section.