The Official build 5 of the AOKP JB custom ROM has been launched for the Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy S3. Use all instructions that I have listed in this post and learn how to manually flash the ROM on your SGS3 model number I535.
AOKP JB Build 5 is based on Google latest Android 4.1.2 firmware. There aren’t too many new features but you can expect that this new build is much more stable than the previous one. You can even ‘dirty flash’ this one over the Build 4 of AOKP JB, which means that you won’t be forced to factory reset your smartphone.
In order to successfully flash this custom ROM you will need to read the preparation guide as it will help you backup important files especially if you decide to perform a clean install of build 5. So, read the guidelines below and when you’re done you can move to the final part of this post:
- This guide will work only if you’re device is a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I535. Verify this by opening Settings and then checking the info listed under the ‘About device/ phone’ menu. If there is another model number listed then you should close this tutorial as it will not work.
- The bootloader of your Verizon SGS 3 should be unlocked.
- Also, your phone should be rooted and running the CWM Recovery image.
- Use CWM Recovery or ROM Toolbox Lite or ROM Manager to create a full NANDROID backup of the existing ROM. You will need this file in case your phone doesn’t boot after applying the new custom ROM files.
- If you do plan to clean install the new ROM, then you should backup a list of installed apps, the SMS, Call logs and APN Internet Settings. Use the following tools to perform all that: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- Also, save your Contacts by syncing them with your Gmail account.
- Charge the battery of your Galaxy S3 so that the device will not power off while you’re installing the AOKP JB Build 5 custom ROM.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case your device gets damaged in the process or in case you lose any files after the update. Make sure that you know what you’re doing and do not attempt to flash these files if you’re a novice.
Now that you know all that, I think that you can move to the next part and learn how to successfully flash this AOKP-based ROM on your smartphone.
How to update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Build 5 custom ROM:
- Download the AOKP JB Build 5 zip HERE.
- Download the Gapps for Jelly Bean HERE. Get the file for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Save the ROM and the Gapps files on your PC and do not extract their contents.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer. Now move both downloaded zip files on its internal SD card. Power off the phone when the files are successfully transferred.
- Boot your Verizon SGS3 into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- If you’re planning a clean install select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the first CWM Recovery menu. Confirm this action. If you’re device is already running the Official AOKP JB Build 3 or 4 then you can skip this step.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP JB Build 5 zip and install it.
- Next, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the Gapps for Jelly Bean zip. Confirm the installation.
- After both files are successfully installed you need to go back to the main CWM Recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The first boot process with this new ROM will begin and you should allow all files to be loaded before pressing any buttons. When the boot is complete, you should view the JB AOKP welcoming screen.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your new phone OS. Test the custom ROM and tell in comments if you like it or not.
NOTE: If the first boot process doesn’t finish loading in under 5 minutes or, in case the phone gets into a boot loop, then you should power it off and after that you should remove the device battery. Reinsert the battery and then repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. You should be able to flash the new AOKP JB Build 5 custom ROM at your second attempt.
If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in our comments section. Leave a detailed comment and tell us exactly which steps you took and where you got stuck while trying to flash AOKP JB build 5 on your Verizon Galaxy S3.