Flash AOKP JB Milestone 1 ROM on Sprint Galaxy Nexus
The first milestone of AOKP JB ROM has been officially been reached and you have to use the instructions that I have listed in this post in order to successfully update your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Note that this update can be installed over your currently AOKP JB ROM without the need of wiping any data or factory reset the device.
This update doesn’t bring any features that will revamp your device but it is the most stable variant of AOKP JB and it is based on the Android 4.1.2. With this milestone version being released, now the AOKP team should focus their attention to the future Android 4.2 firmware, which should be launched in the next couple of weeks. However, until then there will be some other AOKP JB minor weekly builds released and you can continue to use them.
If you’re installing this custom ROM on a Sprint Galaxy Nexus device that isn’t already running an AOKP JB build, then you will have to read the preparation guide below. If otherwise, skip the guidelines below and move directly to the tutorial and flash the new ROM.
Here’s what you need to know if you’re planning a clean install of AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Milestone 1 custom ROM on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus device:
- Make sure that you device is a Sprint variant of Galaxy Nexus. Do not attempt to flash these files on any other Android smartphones as that will result in a failed update.
- The device you’re about to update should be running on an unlocked bootloader. Also, it has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery.
- It is recommended for you to make a full backup of the existing ROM. This file will be useful in case something goes wrong with the update and the phone cannot boot normally.
- Also, you can create backups of SMS, Call Logs, APN Internet Settings and you can also save a list of installed apps. Use these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of these will ask for root access.
- Sync your Contacts with the phone’s assigned Gmail account.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is fully charge before beginning the updating process.
- Apply all the steps listed in the tutorial and if you’re unable to complete it, then you should ask for more help in comments.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case your device is bricked in the process.
These were all the guidelines you had to read before moving to the tutorial.
How to update Sprint Galaxy Nexus to Official AOKP JB Milestone 1 ROM:
- Download the custom ROM zip HERE and save it on PC without unzipping its contents.
- Download the Gapps for JB file from HERE. Get the version for Jelly Bean and don’t unzip.
- Connect your smartphone with computer via USB cable. Move the files downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on the phone’s internal SD card. After the move is complete, you have to disconnect the Sprint GNex from PC and then power off the smartphone.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be entered if you press ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons, all at the same time. Release them when the screen powers ON.
- Now, if you planning a clean install then you need to apply this step. Otherwise, skip it. Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. For users that are already running an AOKP JB build ROM, it is unnecessary to factory reset the phone.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Locate the AOKP JB Milestone 1 zip and confirm that you want to install it. When the ROM installs, move to the next step.
- Install the ‘Gapps for JB’ zip now by selecting again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Confirm this action and after the installation is complete, you have to return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option. Now you simply need to wait until the first boot process of AOKP JB M1 ROM is complete. The homescreen of AOKP JB 4.1.2 should be displayed after 5 minutes and this means that the update was successfully. You can begin using and testing this new ROM.
NOTE: In case the first boot process doesn’t complete, then you will have to power off the device and remove its battery. Repeat the entire tutorial again starting with step 4 and this time you need to apply the actions listed under step 5 and factory reset your Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
In case you cannot complete this update or you’re unsure about the actions you have to take, leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and we will offer you extra solutions.
I hope that this guide helped you complete the installation of this new ROM and that you can enjoy the most stable AOKP JB 4.1 custom ROM to date.