AOKP team has finished work on their second Milestone build that is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You can use this tutorial in order to learn how to properly flash this new custom ROM on your US Cellular Galaxy S4 device without bricking it. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the update in under 10 minutes.
This is an official release by AOKP team and not an official OTA Update released by Samsung. It is still a custom ROM that uses the AOSP Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean as a base along with AOKP proprietary features. This is a custom ROM that you can use to customize every part of your device’s OS and make it run faster and smoother using various apps that would normally not work with stock Jelly Bean 4.2 firmware.
More info about the features of AOKP Milestone 2 Android 4.2.2 JB ROM can be found here. That’s a news article comprising all the changes that are added by this custom ROM.
Before starting the update, you will first need to read the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the US Cellular variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 device.
- do not attempt to flash the files of AOKP M2 ROM you find here on any other Galaxy S4 device, as you will end up bricking it.
- your device has to be factory unlocked, it has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your US Cellular SGS4 device, so that you’ll have a restore point for your device in case something goes wrong.
- the tutorial tells you to ‘factory reset’ the device, which you should complete, as otherwise the new ROM might not boot into normal mode.
- after ‘factory reset’ you will lose only the data stored on the /system partition, which is why you should backup installed apps data, SMS and other similar stored on it.
> note that the contents of the internal / external SD card won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’.
- if you wish to backup SMS, Call Logs info and other similar data, then you can use these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these small apps.
- if you want to backup save phone numbers and contacts info, then you will have to sync such Contacts data with your default Gmail account. A guide can be found here.
- enable USB debugging from Developer Options.
- charge your phone’s battery so that the device won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- this is a guide for advanced users, don’t try to flash the files in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- we cannot be blamed in case you lose any important data in the process nor in case you brick the phone.
- read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post in order to learn how to successfully flash an AOKP ROM for your smartphone.
How to update US Cellular Galaxy S4 with AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM:
- Download the AOKP Milestone 2 zip file from HERE.
> save it on your PC without extracting the contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2-based custom ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip.
- Connect the US Cellular S4 with your PC.
- Move both zip files onto your device’s internal SDcard. After the files are copied, disconnect the device from your PC.
- Power off your phone completely.
- Boot the SGS4 into Custom Recovery Mode now. Below you can find instructions for both CWM and TWRP Recoveries.
- When you’re at the main Custom Recovery menu do this:
> for CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ then confirm that you wish to make a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM.
> for TWRP: press Backup and then create a NANDROID backup.
> get to the next step when done.
- Now, you will have to apply ‘factory reset’:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm.
> for TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm this process.
- Next, you have to flash the AOKP M2 zip file in order to install the new ROM:
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘find zip from sdcard’. Browse for the ROM zip and install it.
> for TWRP: press ‘Install’, then browse your SGS4 US Celullar internal SDcard for the ROM zip. Confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is flashed, you should repeat the actions listed under step 9 in order to flash the Gapps zip too.
- When you’ve managed to successfully install both zips, you can return to the custom Recovery main menu. Reboot the phone.
- Now your device will boot into normal mode with AOKP Milestone 2 ROM as default OS. Wait for this first boot process to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen appears and this will help you take control over your device’s functions once again.
That’s it, you’ve managed to flash the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Milestone 2 ROM for your US Cellular Galaxy S4 device. In case you have any problems with the installation process, then you can choose to ask for extra help in comments.
If you don’t like how this new ROM works with your device, then you can easily restore the NANDROID backup file created in step 7. Use the same Custom Recovery mode that you’ve used to create the backup files.