Android Open Kang Project team has released their official Milestone 2 build of the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully update your AT&T Galaxy S3 with this new custom ROM.
This is a guide that should be installed by those who know what they’re doing and not by beginners. More info about the new things added by this new ROM can be found here. In order to make sure that you successfully install this new ROM, you will first need to take a look at the guidelines listed below:
- Use this guide only with the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.
- Do not attempt to update any other Galaxy S3 variant using this guide, as you will end up bricking it.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- Use the custom Recovery Mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS before installing AOKP Milestone 2 Android 4.2.2 JB build.
- The NANDROID backup will act as cover in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you brick the phone.
- The ‘how-to’ part of this post will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ your smartphone, which is why you should know that you will lose all installed apps data, SMS and other similar file.s
- The ‘factory reset’ process won’t affect the internal / external storage.
- If you plan on backing up data from installed apps, then you can find helpful tools on Google Play Store.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call logs info or APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these tools.
- Make sure to sync your Contacts data with the Gmail account that you’ve assigned as default.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- In case the Developer Options doesn’t appear in the Settings menu, then you will have to open ‘About phone’ menu, then scroll down and tap 7 times on the Build Number section. This will enable the Developer Options for your device and you can enable USB Debugging.
- Check the phone’s battery power levels and make sure that there is enough power left before the device will switch off.
- This guide is for more advanced.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case your AT&T Galaxy S3 gets bricked in the process nor in case you lose important data files.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
Since you’ve read all the instructions above, you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to flash a custom ROM for your device.
How to flash AOKP Milestone 2 ROM based on Android 4.2.2 JB for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the AOKP M2 ROM zip from here.
> save the file on computer and don’t unzip.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2-based custom ROMs from here.
> don’t extract the contents.
- Connect your AT&T SGS3 with your computer via USB data cable. Now move both files onto your smartphone’s internal SDcard.
- When the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC and then boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
> remember that this guide contains instructions for both CWM and TWRP Recoveries.
- First thing that you need to do in Recovery Mode is to create a NANDROID backup of the current ROM:
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ and then create the backup file. Confirm.
> for TWRP Recovery: press Backup and then select the files that you wish to backup. Confirm.
- Next, apply factory reset for your device, as otherwise the AOKP M2 ROM won’t boot after installation:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP: press Wipe button, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can flash the AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for your AT&T SGS3:
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 zip file and confirm the installation.
> for TWRP: press the Install button, browse your device for the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm by sliding the blue button to the right.
- After the ROM is flashed, you need to install the Gapps zip too. Select the same options as in step 7 to install it.
- When both AOKP M2 and Google Apps zips have been successfully flashed, return to the main Recovery Mode screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now and wait until the device boots into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details when the AOKP Milestone 2 home screen is displayed on your AT&T Galaxy S3.
- Test the new features and functions of the new ROM. Customize its home screens and configure it to get the best out of your Android smartphone.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to successfully flash the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Milestone 2 build for your Galaxy S3. In case you had any problems with the installation process, then you should ask for more help in comments or you can simply repeat the entire tutorial once again, as usually such custom ROMs are acting up and might not flash at the first attempt.
If you don’t like how the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM works with your AT&T Galaxy S3, then you can easily restore it to its previous state by using Custom Recovery Mode and then restoring the NANDROID backup file created in step 5.