Flash AOKP Milestone 2 ROM build based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 M919
Android Open Kang Project team has finally finished the work on AOKP Milestone 2 build ROM and now you can install it on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. Read this entire article and you should be able to complete the update in under 10 minutes without bricking your device. Use the guide only if you’re an advanced user that knows how to flash custom ROMs using a custom Recovery Mode.
More info about this release can be found in this news article here. In order to successfully update your T-Mobile SGS 4 to a custom Android 4.2.2 JB using AOKP Milestone 2 ROM, then you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post and tutorial only with the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number M919.
- Don’t try to use this guide with any other Android smartphone nor tablet.
- The Galaxy S4 TMO that you’re about to update should be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as TWRP or CWM.
- create a NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM before starting the installation of AOKP Milestone 2. This will set a restore point for your device and you use it in case the new ROM doesn’t work correctly or you simply don’t like it.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find a step that asks you to wipe data and factory reset the TMO SGS4. That means that you will lose the data stored on the /system partition, data such as installed apps, SMS, Call Logs info and other similar files, while the internal and external SD cards will remained untouched by the update.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call logs info or APN Internet Settings, then you can use the following applications for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- If you’re planning on backing up any installed apps data, then it would be best for you to go to the Google Play Store and use its search function to find a tool that is capable of saving installed applications.
- Sync the Contacts info with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers in the process.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left in it before switching off completely. In case the device powers off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- This is a guide for advanced users and you cannot blame us if you brick the phone or you lose data in the process.
- Do not skip any steps that I have listed in the tutorial.
- In case you have any problems while trying to update the phone, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn what steps you should take in order to flash a brand new custom ROM on your device.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 based on Android 4.2.2 JB for T-Mobile Galaxy S4:
- Download the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM build from HERE.
> save the file on your computer and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2-based custom ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip.
- Connect your TMO Galaxy S4 with your computer, then copy both zip files to its internal SDcard.
- Disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the smartphone.
- Now boot it into CWM or TWRP Recovery.
> if you don’t know how to do it, then you can use this post here to learn.
- When you’re at the main Recovery Menu select ‘Backup and Restore’ for CWM Recovery or ‘Backup’ menu for TWRP. Create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM and then continue to the next step.
- Return to the main Recovery menu.
> CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Next, you need to flash the AOKP Milestone 2 zip files:
> CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP Milestone 2 zip and confirm its installation.
> TWRP: press ‘Install’ and then browse your phone’s internal SDcard. Confirm the ROM install.
- When the new ROM has been successfully installed, you will need to repeat the steps listed in step 9 in order to flash the Gapps zip, too.
- After both installations are complete, return to the main Custom Recovery screen. Restart the phone using the ‘reboot’ option and then wait for the device to enter normal mode.
- Use your Google Account details to take control over your device.
These were the steps that you had to follow and now you can start testing the new AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM.
If the first boot process with the new OS doesn’t complete and you’re stuck, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again in order to force your device to boot into normal mode. For any other questions, use the comments section below.
If you don’t like how your device is working with the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM, then you can choose to use the NANDROID backup file created in step 7 and restore your device to its previous ROM. Remember that this is a custom ROM created by the AOKP team and not an official update by Samsung / T-Mobile.