The new build of AOKP KitKat Nightlies is now ready for the US Cellular variant of Samsung Galaxy S3. Read this entire tutorial and you will manage to successfully flash the brand new ROM without bricking your device’s firmware.
This custom ROM is obviously based on AOSP Android 4.4.2, but it also features its own elements created by the AOKP Team along with other things borrowed from CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android. Learn more about this ROM at its website here. Read the guidelines below before getting to the tutorial:
- this post works only with rooted US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3.
- do not attempt to install the custom ROM on any other Android device.
- CWM or TWRP Recovery should be installed on your device.
- in the tutorial you will find instructions for CWM Recovery, but you can TWRP, too. Make sure that you apply the corresponding options.
- note that your installed custom Recovery has to be running the latest version, as otherwise you won’t be able to flash any type of Kitkat custom ROM.
- do not skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
- the Factory Reset step wipes only the system partition, while it leaves the internal and external sdcards unaffected.
- read the entire tutorial first and do not blame us in case you brick your phone or lose any important data.
- backup data from installed apps, SMS or other similar files with Helium for Android.
- check the phone’s battery charge and make sure that it is over 50%, so that your phone will not switch off while you’re flashing the new ROM.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- if you can’t do it, then you can use the info in this post to learn.
- if you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Install AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for US Cellular Galaxy S3:
- Download the ROM from here.
- the build in this download link is the latest available at the time this post was created, but you can check for new builds by going to aokp.co website.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- disconnect your US Cellular Galaxy S3 from computer when done moving the files.
> don’t unzip the archived files.
- Power off your phone and then boot it in CWM Recovery Mode.
- if you can’t do it, read here.
- First, create the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM to set a restore point for your device:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- Now you need to apply Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
> don’t skip this step unless your device already runs on a previous AOKP Kitkat Nightly ROM.
- Next, install the ROM zip file on your US Cellular Galaxy S3:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM and confirm installation.
- Install Gapps zip file now using step 7 instructions.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen when you’re done installing all the new files.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
> note that the first boot process will take a while to load all new files.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
Now that you’ve managed to complete the installation of AOKP KitKat Nightly ROM on your US Cellular Galaxy S3 you can start testing all the new features.
If the first boot process fails to complete, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps in case you repeat the guide.