Flash AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE model number N7105 has received its own version of official AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightlies. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device without bricking its firmware. Remember that this is a guide for advanced users, so you shouldn’t use it in case you don’t know hwat you’re doing.
AOKP KitKat Nightlies are all based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP, which means that you get all stock features along with some other created by the AOKP team. Also, you will find some elements from CyanogenMod and other popular custom ROMs. Remember that this is not an official release by Samsung, but a small custom ROM that should offer you the possibility to test the KitKat UI.
In order to learn more about AOKP and their Nightly builds based on Android 4.4.2, then you can follow the info listed on the developing team’s blog page here. In order to make sure that you will flash the new ROM at your first attempt, then you should take a look at the preparation guide below first:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE model number N7105.
- do not try to update any other smartphones with the files that you’ll find in this article.
- note that this guide will not work for US Note 2 LTE models.
- Your Note 2 LTE should be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
- if the CWM / TWRP aren’t updated to their latest build available, then you cannot flash any new KitKat builds.
- in the tutorial you will find info on how to use CWM, but you will be able to use TWRP too by carefully selecting the correct corresponding options.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘backup and restore’ option, one that will teach you how to successfully create a full backup for the installed ROM.
- this will set a restore point for your device, so that you will be able to use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or, you simply don’t like how it works with your device.
- Factory Reset is also required, this will wipe all the files stored on your phone’s system partition.
- Factory Reset will not wipe data from internal nor external storage.
- do not skip ‘factory reset’, as otherwise your device might not boot in normal mode with the AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 ROM.
- Backup data from installed applications, SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access is required for these apps.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a post for advanced users, do not blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Check the phone’s battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will ensure that your phone will not power off in the middle of the installation process.
- Read the entire article and don’t skip any steps.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and you will learn how to successfully your smartphone with a brand new Android 4.4.2 custom ROM.
How to flash AOKP Nightly KitKat ROM for Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7105:
- Download the latest build from HERE.
- you can check for other builds here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 custom ROMs from HERE.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer, then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the phone from computer.
> do not unzip the contents of the zip file.
- Power off your Galaxy Note 2 now.
- Boot the device in Custom Recovery Mode ( CWM or TWRP ).
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and then save it on your device’s internal / external storage.
> for TWRP use the Backup section.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for Galaxy Note 2 LTE:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
> for TWRP you simply select Wipe and then swipe across the blue button to confirm process.
- Now you can finally flash the brand new AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’
- find the ROM file and confirm its installation.
> for TWRP use the Install menu.
- After you install the ROM you should repeat the step 8 actions and flash Gapps zip as well.
- When both the AOKP ROM and Gapps zips are installed you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes several minutes in order to load all the new files.
- Enter your Google Account info and take control over your device when the home screen of AOKP Nightly KitKat appears.
- start testing all new features and see how your device works with AOKP.
I hope that you did manage to complete the update and now you’re enjoying this brand new KitKat custom ROM. If the first boot process of this custom ROM doesn’t complete in under ten minutes or the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial more than once.
If you do repeat the guide, then it would be best for you to make sure that no steps are skipped. Apply Factory Reset and after that apply the ‘format /system’ option too.
In case you don’t like the new ROM and its new features, then it would be best for you to restore the phone to its previous ROM using the NANDROID ROM Backup file created in step 6.
If you have any other questions, then you can always choose to ask for more help in comments.