Now you can flash the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM build for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus using the info I’ve posted in this article. Read this entire post and make sure that you know what you’re doing before starting the update.
AOKP M2 brings tons of new customization features, services and functions that should improve your overall Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean experience. More info about it can be found here.
In order to correctly install this new ROM build on your phone, you first have to take a look at the guidelines below:
- This tutorial will only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus device.
- Do not try to update any other variant of Galaxy Nexus using the files posted in this article.
- Also, the installation will work only if your phone is on unlocked bootloader, it is rooted and running CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
- Use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM before installing the new OS. This will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case something doesn’t go as planned.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step, which you have to apply. Don’t skip this step.
- Note that by applying ‘factory reset’ you will lose installed apps data and other similar files that you have currently stored on the system partition.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps then you can find some useful tools on Google Play Store.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be asked for some of these utilities.
- Make sure to sync the Contacts info with your Gmail account before starting the update. This process will backup all the saved phone numbers info and other similar data.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that there is enough power left in your phone’s battery before it will switch off completely.
- Read this entire post and don’t skip any steps.
- This guide is for more advanced users, do not blame us if you brick the phone or you lose any important files in the process.
Now that you know all that you can go on and learn how to flash a custom ROM for your device.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM build for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download AOKP M2 ROM build from here.
> save the zip on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here. Don’t unzip, save it on your PC.
- Connect the VZW Galaxy Nexus with your PC via data USB Cable. Move both zip files onto your smartphone’s internal SDcard.
- When the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the smartphone now.
- Boot the Verizon Galaxy Nexus into CWM or TWRP Recovery mode. Both Recovery images are supported with this tutorial.
- From the main custom Recovery menu you need to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm that you wish to create this restore point.
> TWRP Recovery: press Backup and then select the files you wish to backup. Confirm the process.
- Next, you need to ‘factory reset’ your phone:
> CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> TWRP: select WIPE and then Factory Reset option. Confirm.
- Now you can flash the custom ROM files:
> CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 zip and install it.
> TWRP: press Install, now find the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm the installation by sliding the blue button shown at the bottom of your display.
- When the new ROM has been installed with success, repeat the step 9 actions and install the Gapps zip too.
- After both files are installed, then you need to return to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now and wait several minutes for the first boot process to complete.
- When the AOKP Milestone 2 home screen appears, enter your Google Account details and then take control over your device.
- These were the steps you had to take, now you can begin to customize all the AOKP M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 parts and improve your overall Android experience.
I hope that you managed to complete the update. If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments or you can try to repeat the entire tutorial until all files are installed.
If you don’t like how your Verizon Galaxy Nexus device works with this new AOKP Milestone 2 ROM, then you should use the NANDROID Backup file of your previous ROM and restore it. These were all the instructions that I had for you, now you should enjoy your brand new ROM.