The Avatar custom ROM has reached the Android 4.3 Nightlies builds and now you can use this tutorial in order to update your device. Read this entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
This build of Avatar AOSP ROM is based on Android 4.3 and other popular custom ROMs. If you want to learn more about it and the features comprised within you will need to take a look at the developer’s web page here. Before starting the installation, you should take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. This is the TI OMAP model of SGS2.
- Don’t attempt to update any other Android smartphones with this version of Avatar ROM, as you will end up bricking the device.
- The tutorial will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ the phone, which means that system partition contents will be removed in the process.
- Your Galaxy S2 I9100G has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image such as TWRP or CWM. If your device doesn’t meet these requirements then you won’t be able to complete this guide.
- Factory Reset will not affect the internal nor external storage.
- If you want to backup data from installed applications, then you can use the following tools for Android: Helium (here) or the Titanium Backup (here).
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access might be needed for some of these tools.
- Sync the Contacts phone numbers and People details with your default Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do that, then you can use the info listed here.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
– this will set a restore point for your device and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot properly or in case you simply don’t like the new one.
- Make sure that your phone has enough battery charge left before it completely switches off. The Power levels should be over 50%.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any data or brick the phone.
- If you have any other questions, then you should post them in our comments field.
How to flash Avatar Android 4.3 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the custom ROM file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer, then move both zip files on your smartphone’s internal storage.
– don’t unzip the archived files.
– after the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S2 I9100G to custom Recovery Mode.
– do it by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power buttons, all at the same time.
– release the buttons when the custom Recovery screen appears.
– both CWM and TWRP Recovery variants are supported by this guide.
- First you will need to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that you have now installed on your device:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, save the file on your internal storage. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Backup, then name the file and confirm the installation by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
> if you don’t create this backup and the new ROM doesn’t boot, then you will be forced to install a stock firmware, then re-root and start from scratch. If you create the backup and something goes wrong then you can use it to restore your device to its previous state.
- Now, apply the Factory Reset for your Galaxy S2 I9100G:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process
– TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to apply factory reset.
> if you skip this step and the Avatar ROM doesn’t boot correctly after you install it, then you will be forced to repeat the entire post without skipping any steps.
- Next, flash the new ROM for your smartphone:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Avatar Nightly zip file. Confirm the process.
– TWRP: press Install, browse the internal storage for the custom ROM zip. Load it into TWRP and swipe to confirm installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- After the ROM is flashed, repeat step 8 and flash the Gapps zip too.
- When both files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now.
– wait for the first boot process to complete, as it might take several minutes until the home screen of your new ROM to appear.
– don’t press any buttons while restart is in progress.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your Galaxy S2 I9100G, as the installation of Avatar Android 4.3 JB Nightly ROM is complete.
Note: in case the device doesn’t complete the first boot process of this new ROM in under ten minutes or the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. For any other questions, use the comments field.
Also, if you don’t like this new Avatar custom ROM, then you can restore your Galaxy S2 I9100G to its previous state using the file created in step 6. I hope that you did manage to complete the tutorial and that Avatar ROM is working as you’d expect it to. Keep an eye on its Software Update option in order to receive the latest builds.