The Avatar Android 4.3 Nightlies are now live for the Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000. Use this tutorial in order to upgrade the first-gen Galaxy S smartphone with the files I’ve listed in the article below.
Avatar ROM packs a modified AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS along with its own features and more others borrowed from CyanogenMod, ParanoidAndroid, AOKP and others. For more info about this release, read the info listed at the developer’s web page here.
Since this guide is for advanced Android users, then it would be best for you to read these guidelines before starting the updating process of your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.3 via Avatar custom ROM:
- Use the guide only for the International Samsung Galaxy S model number I9000.
– don’t attempt to flash these files on any other Android smartphones or tablets.
- This post will work on Galaxy S devices that are factory unlocked, rooted and with CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it.
– without these requirements being met you won’t be able to flash this brand new custom ROM.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find the Factory Reset step. It will delete all data from system partition, so that you’ll clean install the new custom ROM.
- Factory Reset doesn’t affect the internal storage.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps, then you can use either Helium – link here or Titanium Backup – link here.
- If you want to save SMS text messages and APN Internet Setting then use one of the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these tools.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can follow the instructions listed here.
- It would be best for you to create a full NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your smartphone.
– this step can be found in the tutorial, too.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery charge level is over 50%, so that it doesn’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This is a tutorial for advanced users, so it isn’t recommended for you to install custom ROMs in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone or lose any important data in the process.
- If you can’t complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Avatar Android 4.3 Nightly custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S I9000:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Now connect the Galaxy S to your PC and move both zip files on to its internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied with success.
- Power off your device and then boot it into Custom Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP are supported by this guide.
– Recovery mode can be booted if you press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power at the same time. Release the buttons when the home screen of CWM / TWRP appears.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file on internal storage.
– TWRP: press Backup, rename the file and swipe to confirm the process.
- Apply the Factory Reset now:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then confirm the factory reset by swiping the blue button.
- Now you can finally install the custom ROM file:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Avatar Nightly zip and confirm the installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the Avatar Nightly ROM file. Swipe to start install process.
> don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed successfully.
- When Avatar ROM is installed, repeat step 7 actions and flash the Gapps file as well.
- After you manage to complete the installation of both files, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
– the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until all the new files are loaded.
- Enter the Google Account details when you’re at the main Avatar ROM home screen and take control over the Galaxy S.
I hope that you did manage to complete the installation and that you like this new custom Android 4.3 ROM. If you have problems with the installation, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Also, if your device is lagging or you simply don’t like how Avatar ROM looks on your Galaxy S, then you can restore your phone to its previous state using the custom Recovery Mode and the Backup file created in step 5.