Avatar Nightly ROM based on Android 4.3 AOSP and CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightlies is now available for installation on your Galaxy S3 I9300 smartphone. Use this tutorial and you’ll learn how to properly flash such custom ROM on your device without bricking it. Make sure to read all the info listed here.
If you want to learn more about Avatar ROM then follow the developer’s web page (here) or this XDA thread here. Before starting the installation, read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 model.
- Don’t flash this version of Avatar ROM on other Galaxy S3 variants, as you will most probably brick it.
- The Galaxy S3 I9300 you’re about to update has to be rooted, factory unlocked.
- Also, it needs to have a custom Recovery installed.
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are fully supported by this guide.
- You will be forced to apply a factory reset for a clean installation of the new ROM.
- If you want to backup data from installed apps then use one of the following tools: Helium (here) / Titanium Backup (here).
- Backup data such as SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then use this post here.
- Factory Reset will remove all data from system partition, while the internal / external storage will remain intact and no data will be lost in the process.
- IMPORTANT: it is recommended for you to create a NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is now installed on your Galaxy S3.
- this will set a restore point and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- such backup can be applied using the custom Recovery Mode and you can find the info in the tutorial part of this post.
- Enable USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps.
- Use this guide only if you’re an advanced user and you know what you’re doing.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible if you brick the phone or lose any data in the process.
- Make sure that the Galaxy S3 battery charge level is over 50%, so that the device won’t power off while you’re flashing the new custom ROM files.
- If you have problems completing the install, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to install Avatar Nightly Android 4.3 custom ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM Avatar Nightly 4.0.5 zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 ROMs from here.
- Connect the device to your PC, then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- when the files are moved, disconnect the SGS3 from computer.
- Boot your device in Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP are supported in this guide.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can learn using this guide here.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now installed on your device:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option, save the backup file on your device’s internal or external storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, select the system parts you want to save and then ‘swipe to back up’.
- continue to the next step when done and return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Now you can Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then ‘swipe to factory reset’.
- Finally, flash the Avatar JB Nightly custom ROM:
- CWM: Select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, find the custom ROM zip and confirm.
- don’t press any buttons until the installation is complete.
- note that the process might take a while to complete and the device might restart a few times.
- Next, repeat step 7 and install the Gapps for Android 4.3 ROMs file.
- When you complete the installation of both zip files, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes at least five minutes to complete.
- if the device enters into a boot loop, it doesn’t go past the Samsung animation screen or it boots but it displays many force close errors, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If ever single thing went according to plan, then you should be seeing the Avatar Android 4.3 Nightly home screen. Take control over your device by entering your Google Account details.
These were all the steps you had to take and I hope that you’ve managed to successfully update your Galaxy S3 I9300 with Avatar Android 4.3 Nightlies build.
In case you don’t like how the new ROM works with your device, then you should use the NANDROID Backup file created in step 5 and restore your device to its previous state.
Also, if you encounter any problems during the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments. We will try to offer you a viable solution.