Flash Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 custom ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I605
Carbon AOSP official Nightlies based on Android 4.3 are now live for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon network. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device with the latest build.
If you want to learn more about this release then you should read the info listed at the developer’s web page here. Take a look at the guidelines below before starting the installation process:
- Use this post only for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number I605.
- Do not attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Galaxy Note 2 models, as you will brick them.
- The Galaxy Note 2 Verizon that you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked and rooted.
- CWM or TWRP Recovery should be installed on it, as otherwise you cannot flash the new ROM files.
- For this new ROM to install successfully you will have to apply a factory reset. This means that data such as installed apps, SMS, Contacts and other similar files will be removed in the process.
- factory reset won’t delete contents from internal or external sdcards.
- Data from installed applications can be backed up using the following tools for Android: Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
- Save SMS, call logs and APN Internet Settings with the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these small tools.
- Sync your Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- Enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- It is recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now installed on your Note 2 Verizon. This sets a restore point and it can be used in case the new Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly build doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case you don’t like the new features.
- Read this entire post and make sure not to skip any steps listed below.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick your device or lose any important data in the process.
- If you can’t complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to flash Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the custom ROM file from here.
- get the latest build available by sorting the files by ‘modification time’.
- don’t unzip the archive.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- this is the file that has to be flashed after you install the new ROM, so that you’ll get all the Google apps installed on your device.
- don’t unzip the file.
- Connect your phablet device with your PC, then move both zip files on to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- Power off the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 now.
- Boot the device in Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recovery will work with this guide.
- First, create the ROM NANDROID Backup for the Android OS that’s currently installed on your device:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option, then save the backup to your device’s internal / external storage. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save. Confirm.
- Now you need to apply a factory reset for your phone:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then press the Factory Reset button. Confirm this process.
- Next, flash the custom ROM zip file:
- CWM: use the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option and then open ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Carbon JB Nightly zip for I605 phone and confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, browse the internal storage for the ROM zip file, load it into TWRP. Confirm that you wish to flash the file by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
- When the new ROM file has been installed, repeat step 9 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- After you manage to install successfully both zip files, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode screen.
- Reboot your device now.
- wait several minutes for the first boot process to complete and then you can take control over your device once again.
- in case the first boot takes more than ten minutes to boot in normal mode or in case the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly ROM appears
That’s it, these were the steps you had to take in order to successfully flash this new ROM for your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 device. If you have any other questions, then you should ask for more help in comments.