Carbon AOSP team launched the Nightlies builds based on Android 4.3 for the AT&T Galaxy S3 phones. Use this tutorial if you want to update your device with this custom ROM.
This custom ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.3, CyanogenMod work, ParanoidAndroid and AOKP. In order to correctly update your device with this ROM you should first take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use the files you find in this post only for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 device. Don’t try to install this version of CarbonROM on any other different Galaxy S3 phones.
- Your device has to be rooted, it should have its bootloader unlocked and CWM or TWRP Recovery installed on it.
- The tutorial will ask you to factory reset the device, a process that will wipe all data from the system partition.
- “Factory Reset” will delete only files from system partition and not from internal / external storage.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your smartphone.
- Backup installed apps data with Helium tool from Play Store or with Titanium Backup.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Setting with these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for these apps.
- Sync your default Gmail account with the Contacts info.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, don’t try to flash the files you find here in case you’re a beginners.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the AT&T Galaxy S3 or you lose any important data in the process.
- Read the entire tutorial and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed below.
How to flash Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 for AT&T Galaxy S3:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
– make sure to download the latest Carbon ROM build.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– this is the file that you need to flash in order to install all the required Google-based apps your phone needs.
- Connect your AT&T Galaxy S3 with your PC, then copy both zip files to its internal storage.
– when the files are copied to your phone, you can disconnect your device from your computer.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot the device to CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do this, then you can use the info listed here.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery menu you should create a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the backup to internal storage option and confirm this process.
– TWRP: press Backup, then select the system files you want to backup. Confirm.
> this step will create a restore point for you phone, one that you can use in case something goes wrong during the installation process.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset’ for your device:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then press Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can install the Carbon ROM JB 4.3:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
– TWRP: press Install, find the Carbon JB Nightly zip, load it into TWRP and confirm the process.
- After the ROM is installed you should repeat step 8 actions in order to flash the Gapps zip too.
- When both zip files are installed with success, return to the main custom Recovery screen. Reboot your smartphone into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your AT&T Galaxy S3.
That’s it, you’ve update your smartphone successfully to Android 4.3 using Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM.
If you have any questions, use the comments field below.