The Carbon AOSP team has launched their own take on the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS and, you can install their custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 using this tutorial.
Carbon Jelly Bean 4.3 Nightlies are borrowing features from CM, AOKP, PA and AOSP Android 4.3 bundling all of them into a single Custom ROM for your device. More about this custom ROM can be found here. Since this release is a Nightly build you will notice that the version listed at Carbon Goo.im page says Android 4.2.2, but that is incorrect.
In order to successfully install this ROM you will first need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- This guide works exclusively with Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Don’t try to update any other devices with the files you find here.
- Your SGS3 has to be factory unlocked, rooted and the CWM or TWRP Recovery should be installed on it.
- The tutorial will ask you to ‘factory reset’ the device, which is why you need to know that all data from the System partition will be wiped, while the Internal and External storage cards won’t be affected by this process.
- Create a NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your Galaxy S3. This will set a restore point for your device and you can find this step in the tutorial.
- To backup data from installed apps use Helium app – here, or Titanium Backup tool – here.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings with these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these tools.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do that, then use this guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that the battery has enough power left before it discharges completely.
- This tutorial is for advanced users. Do not try to use the guide if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- We cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone or lose data in the process.
- Read the entire tutorial, don’t skip any steps.
- Use the comments field to ask for extra help.
How to update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.3 using Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 Nightlies ROM:
- Download the Carbon AOSP JB 4.3 Nightly file from here.
- make sure to grab the latest available build.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- this file will add all Google-based apps your device needs.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S3 with your computer and move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- after the transfer is complete make sure to disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot the device into Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recovery images are supported by this guide.
- First thing you need to do is to create the NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
- CWM: use the ‘backup and restore’ option then use the ‘backup to internal sdcard’ option.
- TWRP: press Backup, select the system parts you want to backup. Confirm.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset’:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm the process.
- Now you can finally flash the Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM on your Galaxy S3 I9300:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the custom ROM zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: press Install, browse the internal storage for the custom ROM zip, load it into TWRP. Swipe the button at the bottom of the screen to start the installation.
- After the ROM is installed, use the same actions as in step 8 and install the Gapps file.
- Return to the main Custom Recovery screen. Reboot the phone into normal mode and that should be it.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to flash a Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 Custom ROM on your Galaxy S3 I9300. If you can’t complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire guide or ask for more help in comments.