CarbonROM KitKat 4.4.2 Nightlies are now available for the AT&T Galaxy S4 device. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the tutorial easy without bricking the phone’s firmware.
This is a custom ROM that is based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP, Paranoid Android, CyanogenMod and AOKP custom ROMs. More info about this release can be found here at the developing team’s web page.
Read the guidelines below first before getting to the tutorial:
- use this guide only with the AT&T Galaxy S4 device.
- do not attempt to flash the new files on any other Android device, as you will brick it.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery build.
- TWRP will work too, but you have to make sure that it is updated to its latest version.
- if the custom Recovery installed on your device is an older version, then you won’t be able to install any new KitKat builds.
- a NANDROID Backup is required for the installed ROM, this will set a restore point for your device.
- do not skip the step when you reach it in the tutorial.
- Factory Reset is also needed for your phone.
- this process will wipe the system partition.
- factory reset doesn’t wipe data from internal nor external storage.
- the step is listed in the tutorial, do not skip it.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS and other similar data using Helium tool for Android — link here.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account. — link here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Check the phone’s battery power and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you will complete installation in under ten minutes.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame is case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post.
Flash CarbonROM Android 4.4.2 Nightly for AT&T Galaxy S4:
- Download the latest build from here.
- Download the Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your device with your PC, then move both files to your phone’s internal storage.
- disconnect the AT&T Galaxy S4 from PC when the files are copied.
> do not unzip the files.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in custom Recovery Mode.
- learn here how to boot recovery in case you don’t know how to do it.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply Factory Reset.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Now you should install the ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM and confirm installation.
- After the CarbonROM KitKat 4.4.2 is flashed on your device you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Install Gapps zip.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen when the files are flashed successfully.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the homescreen appears.
- Use your Google Account in order to take control over your device.
NOTE: if the first boot process takes more than ten minutes and it doesn’t boot normal mode, or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps when repeating the guide.
If you have other questions or you need extra help, use the comments field below.