CarbonROM Nightly build based on Android 4.4.2 is available now for the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your device with it in under ten minutes.
More info about this release can be found at the Carbon-ROM blog page here. In order to complete this tutorial you will first need to take a look at the preparation info:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
– do not attempt to update any other devices using the files that you will find in this post.
- This guide works with rooted Galaxy S4 LTE.
- Make sure that the latest CWM / TWRP Recovery is installed on your device.
– if the custom Recovery is not updated to its latest version, then you won’t be able to install KitKat ROMs.
- Nandroid Backup is required for the installed OS; this step is listed in the tutorial.
– it will set a restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot.
- Factory Reset is also needed for this post, don’t skip this step.
– Factory Reset wipes all data from system partition, while leaving internal and external storage sdcards unaffected.
- Backup data from installed apps, SMS text messages and other similar data using Helium tool for Android – here.
- Sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
– guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide that should be applied by advanced Android users, so you shouldn’t attempt to install the new ROM in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and you should be able to complete the guide in no time.
- If you cannot complete the installation, you should ask for more help in comments.
That’s it, now you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with this brand new custom ROM.
How to flash CarbonROM KitKat Nightly 4.4.2 for Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
- Download the latest build of Carbon ROM KitKat from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power off the device, then boot it in Custom Recovery mode.
– guide here for those that don’t know how to boot Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Now you can install the brand new ROM:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the ROM file and confirm process.
- When the ROM is installed you should repeat step 7 and install the Gapps zip.
- After all files are flashed you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
– note: the first boot process of your ROM takes a while to complete which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the new homescreen loads.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device.
Now you can start testing all the new features and functions of CarbonROM Android 4.4.2 KK Nightly builds.
NOTE: if the first boot process doesn’t complete in under ten minutes or in case the phone enters into a boot loop, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial more than once. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps and that you will apply Factory Reset. Also, you might want to apply ‘Format /system’ option.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can always choose to restore the device to its previous OS using the file created in step 5.