CyanogenMod 10.1 Nighlty build is now available for the Sprint CDMA variant of the Galaxy S4. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to update your phone with a pure Android AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM.
The Nightlies builds of CM10.1 ROM are not stable releases, but it brings a full Jelly Bean experience by removing all Samsung / Sprint bloatware apps and files. After the Nightlies builds, CyanogenMod team will release the Release Candidates of CM 10.1 and from then on we should expect the final build to be available. All this should happen before Google decides to launch the Android 4.3 JB OTA Update for all phone.
In order to successfully flash this custom ROM for your device, you will first need to take a look at the preparation info below. You will learn to backup data and what options to enable so that you will manage to flash the CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this post only for the Sprint CDMA variant of Samsung Galaxy S4. Your phone should have the L720 model number.
- don’t attempt to install this update on any other Android smartphone.
- the device you’re about to update should be factory unlocked and rooted.
- a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP has to be installed on it. I have used the CWM Recovery for this tutorial, but the TWRP is 100% compatible with it and you shouldn’t have any problems using it.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full backup of your phone’s current operating system. A restore point will be set for the Sprint Galaxy S4, a file that can be used in case the new OS doesn’t wan’t to boot after the install is complete.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find a step that asks you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, which means that you will lose the installed apps, SMS and other similar data that is stored on your device’s system partition.
- search the Google Play Store for an application that you can use to save data for install apps.
- to backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings you will need to use some of these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant root access for these tools.
- you will also have to backup Contacts data by syncing it with your Gmail account. All the Contacts data and save phone numbers need to be saved before starting to install CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM, as otherwise you will lose all of it.
- enable the USB Debugging option by going through Settings > Developer Options.
- make sure that there is enough power left in your smartphone’s battery before continuing to the installation part of this article.
- this is a tutorial for advanced Android users. If you’re a novice and you still wish to flash this ROM, then you should ask for extra help in comments before beginning the installation.
- don’t blame us in case your phone gets bricked in the process nor in case you lose any important data files.
Since you’ve read all of the above, you continue to the next part of this article in order to learn how to successfully install a brand new build of CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies for your Samsung smartphone.
How to install CM 10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean ROM for the Sprint Galaxy S4 L720:
- Download the latest CM 10.1 Nightlies zip from here. Save the file on your computer and do not unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 and Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Don’t extract the files, save the file on PC.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 with your PC using the USB Data cable.
- Move both downloaded files onto your phone’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied successfully, then you will have to disconnect the phone from computer.
- Power off your Sprint Galaxy S4 completely.
- Boot your phone into CWM Recovery like this: Volume Up, Home and Power buttons need to be pressed all at the same time. Release the buttons when the screen flickers or the CWM / TWRP logo appears.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and confirm that you want to backup the currently installed OS. After the backup is finished continue to the next part of this post.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm.
NOTE: in case your device is already running on a previous build of CM 10.1, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the ROM is installed, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps file and then confirm its installation, too.
- After you both files are successfully flashed on your device then you will be able return to first Recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now you need to wait until the CM 10.1 Nightly first boot process is complete.
- When all files are loaded successfully, then you should see the Android 4.2.2 / CM 10.1 home screen. Enter your Google Account details and take control over your smartphone once again.
- Test all the new functions and then tell us in comments if your phone works better with this AOSP Jelly Bean OS than it did with the previous Samsung / Verizon one.
NOTE: In case the device doesn’t complete the first boot process or it enters into a boot loop, then you have to remove the phone’s battery. Re-insert it after a few seconds have passed, then you will be forced to repeat the entire guide once again. Make sure to apply the actions listed under step 8 and ‘factory reset’ your Sprint Galaxy S4 before installing the new ROM.
I hope that you did manage to complete the installation of this new ROM. Remember that in case you don’t like how your smartphone works with this custom ROM, you can easily restore it to its previous ROM using the custom Recovery mode and the files created in step 7. If you have any other questions, please use the comments field below.