Flash CM 10.1 Release Candidate 5 based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket I727
The RC 5 build version of CyanongenMod 10.1 has been launched for AT&T’s Galaxy S2 SkyRocket device. You can use this tutorial and learn how to successfully install it on your smartphone easily and without losing any important data in the process. Read the entire post and you should be able to complete the installation in under 10 minutes.
With this release, the CM team is getting one step closer to the final CyanogenMod 10.1.0 Build, which should be the last project based on Android 4.2.2 JB. Google will shortly launch Android 4.3 update and they will start working with the new edition. However, it is expected that you might still get some CM 10.1.0 Nightlies released. We will more then.
This is an AOSP-based Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM created by the CyanogenMod team, it packs tons of great new functions and features that are usually not available with the stock SkyRocket phone, as that one is branded with AT&T and Samsung bloatware. In order to make sure that you successfully complete the installation, then you will have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket model number I727. Don’t try to update any other devices using the files you find here.
- your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP. I’ve used the CWM Recovery for this tutorial, but the TWRP Recovery will work, too.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently stored ROM. This will act as a restore point and it can be used in case something goes wrong during the update.
- you will be asked to ‘factory reset’ the smartphone before installing the new OS. This means that you will lose the data that is stored on your device’s system partition along with installed apps and other similar data.
- if you’re planning on backing up installed applications, then you can browse the Google Play Stored for a working application that can help you do just that.
- to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these tools.
- sync your Contacts with the Gmail account you’ve assigned as default for your smartphone.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it before completely discharging.
- this is a guide for advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick your phone or, you lose any important data in the process.
- use the comments section to ask for any extra help.
- don’t skip any steps.
NOTE: If your device is already sporting a previous CyanogenMod 10.1 build, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step and flash the new version over it.
These were all the preparation guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this article. Remember that this is a custom ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and not an official Samsung OTA Update.
How to install CM 10.1 RC5 Jelly Bean ROM for AT&T Galaxy S2 SkyRocket I727:
- Download the CM 10.1 RC5 build from HERE.
> save the file on your PC and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip, save the file on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone with PC and move both files onto your device’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied to your SGS2 SkyRocket, disconnect it from PC.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot the SGS2 into Custom Recovery Mode.
> I have used the CWM Recovery for this tutorial, but the TWRP one should work too. Make sure to apply the corresponding action in the same order.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery screen, select ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm that you wish to create such Nandroid backup file of your currently OS.
> this file will come in handy in case something goes wrong and the new OS doesn’t boot into normal mode.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 RC5 file and install it.
- When the ROM is installed, select once again the option that says ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find Gapps zip and complete its installation.
- After both files are flashed with success, return to the main Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for your smartphone to complete the first boot process with the new OS. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete. Enter your Google Account to take control over all the functions of your device.
- Start testing all features of this new ROM and keep an eye on the ‘CyanogenMod Updates, section in Settings menu to constantly receive updates for your smartphone.
Note: if the first boot process takes too long to complete or the Galaxy S2 SkyRocket is unable to go past the Samsung boot animation screen, then the CM 10.1 RC5 ROM wasn’t installed successfully. This means that you will be forced to power off the phone completely. After that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again and, this time, you will have to make sure that no steps are skipped in the process.
If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.