CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM is now officially available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device at your first attempt.
This is one of the first builds of the CM 10.2 Nightly, but more and more Nightlies will be released on a daily basis so that with every new one you will get a more stable ROM. If you install the latest build of CM 10.2 Nightly, then you can continue updating the phone using the CM Updater tool under Settings menu.
CM 10.2 Nightlies is based on the Android 4.3 AOSP ROM and it packs tons of new features that should improve your Jelly Bean experience. In order to make sure that you install this ROM at your first attempt, you will need to take a look at the preparation guide first. Here’s what you need to know:
- This post will work only with the International Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
- Do not try to flash this custom ROM on any other device.
- The Galaxy S2 that you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- Both CWM and TWRP Recovery images are supported by this tutorial.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this article you will find a step that asks you to factory reset the smartphone. This will remove contents from the system partition, files such as installed apps data, SMS and others.
- The internal SDcard of your device will not be affected by the factory reset.
- If you want to backup installed apps data then you can use Helium app (here) from Google’s Play Store or the Titanium Backup tool (here). Note that Titanium Backup might not work with CM 10.2 which means that you might not be able to restore data after installing the new ROM.
- In order to backup SMS, call logs and APN Internet Settings use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account. This will save all the phone numbers that you have stored on your smartphone.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a tutorial for more advanced Android users and you shouldn’t attempt to apply the new ROM is case yo don’t know what you’re doing.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data or you brick the phone in the process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps listed below.
- Check the battery charge level so that it would be over 50% as you wouldn’t want for it to power off in the middle of the updating process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next step and learn how to successfully flash a Nightly build of one of the most popular Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROMs. In case you have problems completing the installation, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with CM 10.2 Nightly ROM:
- Download the CM 10.2 Nightly zip from here.
– download the latest build.
– do not unzip the archive.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– do not extract its contents.
– this file has to be installed as it will flash all the required Google apps.
- Connect the smartphone with your PC via USB cable.
- Move both zip files to your device’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- Boot your smartphone into Custom Recovery Mode.
– both the CWM and TWRP Recovery are supported by this tutorial.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery menu you should first create the NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select the ‘backup and restore’ option, then you can create the backup. Confirm the process.
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system files you want to save and then confirm.
> this file can be used in case your device doesn’t boot into normal mode or in case you don’t like the new ROM and wish to restore your phone to its previous status.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset’ for your Galaxy S2:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and Confirm.
– TWRP Recovery: press the Wipe button, then Factory Reset. Confirm this process.
> NOTE: If your phone is already using a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can skip this step and overwrite it with the new build.
> if your phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM and you have skipped the ‘factory reset’, then you will need to return to this step and apply it.
- When done with the above instructions you can being the installation of CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM:
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly and confirm the installation.
– TWRP Recovery: press Install then browse your device for the CM 10.2 zip. Confirm that you want to install this new ROM using the sliding blue button at the bottom of the screen.
> The installation shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes. When done, you can continue to the next step.
- Now you have to flash the Gapps zip using the same actions as in step 8.
- Since you’ve installed both files then you should return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your smartphone and then wait for your device to boot into normal mode.
– the first boot process of this new ROM shouldn’t take more than ten minutes. Don’t press any buttons until the home screen doesn’t load.
– if the phone doesn’t go past the Samsung boot animation or it enters into a boot loop, then you should repeat the entire tutorial.
- When the home screen of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM appears you need to enter your Google Account details.
- Start testing the new ROM and see if there are any visible improvements from your previously installed ROM.
These were the steps you had to take, now you can close this tutorial.
If you have any problems with the installation, then you can ask for more help in comments.
In case you don’t like how this new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM works with your Galaxy S2 I9100 phone, then you can restore it to its previous state using the NANDROID Backup file created in step 6 and the same custom Recovery mode.