The official CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM has been released for the US Cellular variant of the Galaxy S4. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your device fast and easy without bricking the smartphone.
The CM 10.2 Nightlies are now in their testing phase and you might find some errors and bugs while using any of these builds. This is one of the most popular custom ROMs based on the Android 4.3 AOSP Jelly Bean. In order to make sure that you manage to flash the new ROM at your first attempt you will need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 US Cellular version.
- Don’t attempt to update any other SGS4 smartphone variants using this post as you will end up bricking it.
- The US Cellular Galaxy S4 that you’re about to update with CM 10.2 Nightly should be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- both custom Recovery images will work with this tutorial.
- In the tutorial guide you will find a step that will tell you to ‘wipe data’ and ‘factory reset’ your device. This will delete all data from the system partition, such as the installed applications data, SMS and other similar files.
- In order to backup installed app data use Helium (here) from Google Play Store or the Titanium Backup (here) app.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs info and the APN Internet Settings, then you should use these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Grant root access for those apps that will ask for it.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail default account. This will save all phone numbers
- Enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options.
- if the Developer Options menu doesn’t show up in the Settings panel, then you will need to enable it: open About Phone menu, then tap seven times on the Build Number section.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left before powering off completely. If your phone powers off in the middle of the updating process, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- This is a tutorial for more advanced Android users. Do not blame us in case something goes wrong, you brick the phone or you lose any important data files.
- In case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Since you’ve read all the info above, continue to the next part of this article and learn how to successfully update your device with the latest Nightlies build of the CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM. This build is based on AOSP Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and it might pack some small errors since it is still in its testing phase.
If you’re having problems with the installation, then make sure to leave a detailed comment at the end of this post.
How to update US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 JB using Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM:
- Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM from here.
- get the latest build and do not unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- this is the file that you have to flash in order to install all Google-based applications on your computer.
- do not unzip the archived file.
- Next, connect the US Cellular Galaxy S4 with your PC. Move both files to your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone when the files are copied successfully. Power off the device now.
- Boot your Galaxy S4 US Cellular into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
- both custom Recovery Modes will work with this post.
- Now, apply the NANDROID Backup of your currently installed ROM:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option, then use the Backup option. Confirm the process.
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system parts you wish to save. Confirm.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> note: if your device already uses a previous build of CM 10.2 Nightly ROM, then you can skip this step and install the new one over it.
> in case you don’t apply factory reset and the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode after the ROM is installed, then you should return to this post and apply ‘factory reset’. This will force your phone to boot into normal mode.
- Now you can finally install the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM on your US Cellular Galaxy S4:
- CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then you will need to select the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find the CM 10.2 Nightly zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP Recovery: press Install. Browse the internal storage and load the CM 10.2 Nightly. Confirm the installation by sliding to the right the blue button shown at the bottom of the screen.
> the installation shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes, continue to the next step when done.
- Now you have to install the Gapps file. Proceed just like you did in step 8 and complete the installation.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen and reboot your smartphone into normal mode.
- note that the first boot process will take a while in order to complete and you shouldn’t press any buttons.
- in case the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you should repeat the entire tutorial.
- When the home screen of the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM loads you should enter your Google Account info in order to take control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation. In case you cannot complete this update, then you can always ask for more help in comments. Continue to update this CM 10.2 ROM with new Nightly builds via the CM Updater tool, that can be found in Settings menu.
If you don’t like how this new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM then you should use the NANDROID backup file created in step 6 to restore it to its previous OS.