CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightlies are now available for the Sprint Galaxy S3 and you can use this post to download and install it on your device. Read the entire post, make sure you know that this is a testing ROM build and that it might contain some errors and bugs.
This new CM 10.2 Nightly ROM is based on the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP release and it packs tons of extra features, apps and tweaks added by the CyanogenMod Team. This new ROM is one of the most popular releases for Android devices and it currently it might be the first go to ROM when users want to switch from Stock Samsung customized Android 4.3 ROMs.
With every single new Nightly build release under the CM 10.2 ROM we will get better and a more stable OS. In order to make sure that you successfully install all files on your smartphone, you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this guide only with the Sprint variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Don’t try to install the build you find here on any other Android device, as you will brick it.
- The Sprint SGS3 you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked, rooted and one of the CWM or TWRP custom Recovery images should be installed on it.
- The custom Recovery allows you to flash the custom ROM files.
- The tutorial will tell you to ‘factory reset’ the device, which means that installed apps data, call logs info and other similar data will be removed from the system partition.
- Factory Reset will not delete the files stored on your device’s internal SDcard.
- If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs info and other similar data then you should use this apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these tools.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account so that you will be able to restore all saved phone numbers and Contacts data after the installation of CM 10.2 is complete.
- Use this guide if you’re an advanced Android user. Do not blame us in case you brick the device or you lose important files in the process.
- Make sure that the battery power levels are over 50%, so that the device won’t switch off while you’re attempting to update its ROM.
- Do not skip any steps listed below.
- Make sure that you read all the info that I have listed in this post and ask for extra help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this post to learn how to flash an Official CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly build for your smartphone. Remember that this guide will take only several minutes to complete and that you can flash the ROM using CWM or TWRP Recovery. Also, note that in case your phone is already running a previous version of CM 10.2 then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step and flash the new build over the previous one.
How to flash Official CM 10.2 Nightly ROM for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the ROM zip file from here. Get the latest version.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 and CM 10.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer now via USB cable.
- Next thing you need to do is to copy both zip files to your phone’s internal SDcard. When the files are moved with success you should disconnect the device from your computer.
- Power off the Sprint Galaxy S3.
- Boot the phone into CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode now.
- From the main Custom Recovery menu you should select the backup option and create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your Sprint SGS3:
> for TWRP Recovery: press Backup option, then you should confirm the backup process.
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the backup option to save a ROM backup on your device.
– in case the new ROM doesn’t work as you expect it to, then you can use this backup to restore your device.
- When the backup is complete, return to the main Recovery Screen and apply the ‘factory reset':
> for TWRP Recovery press the Wipe button, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> for CWM Recovery select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm this process.
– note that in case your device already runs on a previous build of official CM 10.2, then you can flash this new one over it. But, in case the phone doesn’t boot into normal mode, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping the ‘factory reset’.
- Now you can install the new custom ROM:
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then you need to use the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Browse your device’s internal SDcard and find the CM 10.2 zip. Confirm the installation.
> for TWRP Recovery: press Install. Now you have to find the CM 10.2 Nightly ROM zip. Load it into TWRP and then confirm that you wish to install the new ROM using the blue button shown at the bottom of the screen.
– wait several minutes for the ROM to be installed and don’t press any button until the process is complete.
- When the ROM has been installed, you need to repeat step 9 and flash the Gapps zip as well.
- After you manage to install both files, return to the main recovery screen and reboot your smartphone.
– CWM Recovery: select ‘reboot system now’.
– TWRP Recovery: press Reboot button, then System.
- Wait for your smartphone to load all the new files and features that have just been installed by CM 10.2 Nightly ROM.
- Enter your Google Account when the home screen appears, then you should start testing the ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to update your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 device with the CM 10.2 Nightly official ROM by CyanogenMod team. If you have problems during the installation, then you can always ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with solutions for you to use and install the CM 10.2 on your Galaxy S3 device.
In case you don’t like how the new ROM works with your device, then you can always use the backup files created in step 8 to restore it to its previous ROM. Use the same custom Recovery mode.
If you do like the Official CM 10.2 ROM and you wish to continue updating it with Nightly builds, then you should open Settings, then the CyanogenMod updates menu and check for the latest versions releases. Simply click and download the update files, then confirm the process and wait for your smartphone to complete the process on its own.