CyanogenMod team has released the first CM11 Nightly build for HTC One M8 that’s based on Android 4.4.3 KitKat.
Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your smartphone with a brand new custom ROM. Note that the CyanogenMod build is only a Nightly release and not a Stable Milestone build, so you might find some errors or bugs while using it.
Install the new ROM only if you’re planning on testing it and not for daily use. More can be learned about CyanogenMod and their work at the web page here.
Before starting the installation you will first need to take a look at these guidelines:
- use this guide only with the HTC One M8 device.
– don’t attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your smartphone should be on an unlocked bootloader.
- the One M8 model that you’re about to update with CM 11 Android 4.4.3 Nightlies has to be rooted.
– also a CWM or TWRP Recovery has to be installed on it.
- enable the USB Debugging from the phone’s Developer Options menu.
– this will let you transfer files easily between phone and computer.
– if Developer Options isn’t shown in Settings, then you need to go to ‘About Phone’ and scroll down and tap seven times on the ‘Build Number’ section.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of the article you will find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID ROM backup and Factory Reset ones. Do not skip either one of these steps.
- if you want to save data from applications that are installed or SMS text messages or any other type of data files, then you can use the Helium tool for Android here.
- sync the Contacts and People details with your default Gmail account before continuing to the tutorial.
- this guide should be applied by advanced users and by those who want to tinker with their phone’s OS.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that it won’t power off in the middle of the installation process.
- you cannot held us responsible in case you brick the HTC One M8 nor in case you lose any of your important data files.
- check the entire tutorial info and do not skip any steps.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the interesting part of this post.
How to flash CM 11 Android 4.4.3 Nightly for HTC One M8:
- Download the CM 11 Nightly zip from here.
– make sure to download the latest build possible.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Connect your HTC One M8 to computer and move both zip files to its internal storage.
– after the files are moved you can disconnect the smartphone from PC.
– if you’ve downloaded these files directly on your phone, then you can skip this step.
- Power off your device completely.
- Boot it into Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP are supported by this guide.
- Set a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm.
– TWRP: press ‘Backup’, set a filename and confirm the process.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the removal of user data.
– TWRP: press Wipe and then simply swipe to start factory reset.
- Install the CM 11 Android 4.4.3 ROM on your HTC One M8:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM file and install it.
– TWRP: press Install, browse your phone’s internal storage for the file. Confirm installation.
- When the new ROM is flashed correctly you can continue and flash Gapps zip just like you did with the ROM file in step 8.
- After you manage to install all files you should reboot the phone in normal mode.
- Use the Google info and take control over your smartphone once again.
These were the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully update your HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.3 via CM 11 Nightly.
In case you need any extra help you can use the comments section.
If the installation fails at the first attempt you should try to repeat the guide and make sure not to skip any step.