If you’re a fan on custom ROMs then you can learn how to flash the latest CM 11 Nightly ROM for the Google Nexus 5 device.
The Nexus 5 runs already on stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat, but if you want to get even better control over your operating system, then you can choose to flash a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies.
As you probably know, the Nightly builds from CyanogenMod aren’t 100% stable and you should only install it for testing purposes. The CM team is currently working on Milestone 8 build of CM 11 which will be much more stable than the Nightly builds. However, if you want to test these new ROM builds, then you’ve come to the right place.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation process:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 5 smartphone.
– do not attempt to update any phones nor other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM / TWRP Recovery image.
– both custom Recovery variants will work with this guide.
- in the tutorial part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps that you shouldn’t skip: one tells you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM while the other one tells you to apply a Factory Reset.
- in case you wish to backup some data from your installed apps or SMS text messages, then you can use the Helium app for Android.
- sync Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- make sure that you have the USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options.
- check the smartphone’s battery charge level and only use this guide if there is 50% charge left before the phone completely switches off.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps that I’ve listed above.
- if you cannot complete this guide, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
- this tutorial should be applied by advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash the new custom ROM for your device.
How to flash CM 11 Android 4.4.4 Nightly for Nexus 5:
- Download the CM 11 Nightly ROM for Nexus from here.
– note that you should get the latest build available only.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the phone to your PC and move both zip files to its internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– if you’ve used the phone to download these files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the Nexus 5 completely.
- Boot your phone now in Recovery Mode.
- After the Recovery Mode is booted you can start the NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM.
– this step will create a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case your phone doesn’t boot in normal after you flash CM 11.
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then name the file and confirm process.
– TWRP: press Backup option. Confirm process.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your Nexus 5:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm.
> skip this step only if your phone already runs on a previous CM 11 Nightly ROM.
> if you skip this step and your phone doesn’t want to boot in normal mode after CM 11 is flashed, then you will need to repeat the entire post without bricking your device.
- Now you can start the CM 11 Nightly install process for your Nexus 5:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
– Find the CM 11 Nightly zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is flashed you will have to repeat step 8 and install Gapps zip, too.
- Get back to the main custom Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of CM 11 Nightly will take a while to complete which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Use your Google account or create a CM profile in order to log into your Nexus 5 once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation process of CM 11 Nightly based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat for your Nexus 5.
If you need any more help, then you should use the comments field.
If the installation fails at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the guide without skipping any steps. Also, make sure to apply ‘format /system’ option after your Factory Reset the device.