The official build of CyanogenMod 11 Nightly is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. Use our guide in order to learn how to successfully install it on your Android device.
This release is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat AOSP and it packs tons of other extra features created by the CM team. If you want to learn more about this new ROM then you should check the info listed here at CyanogenMod’s blog page.
Before starting the update you should read the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500.
– this is the International Galaxy S4 device, don’t attempt to update any other SGS4 with the files that you will find in this post.
– check the phone’s version under Settings> About Device, make sure that the GT – I9500 model number is listed and then continue with the rest of the process.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery build.
– both CWM and TWRP are working with this guide.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of this tutorial you will find two extra preparation steps, the NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset, do not skip them.
– NANDROID Backup: it creates a full ROM restore point, one that you can use in case the new CM 11 Nightly doesn’t boot in normal mode successfully.
– Factory Reset: this has to be applied so that you will get rid of all the files that have been installed by the previous ROM on your phone’s system memory.
– factory reset process will not wipe any data from internal nor external storage.
– note that you can save some data from installed apps using the Helium app for Android.
– also, you can choose to sync Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- check the Galaxy S4 battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the phone from switching off during installation.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you end up bricking your device.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps listed in the tutorial.
Now that you know all that and your phone meets all the requirements you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 11 Android 4.4.4 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Download the CM 11 Nightly ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the Galaxy S4 to your PC and then move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the files and disconnect the phone from PC when the files are transferred successfully.
– if you’ve used your device to download these files, then you can ignore this step.
- Power off the phone now.
- Next, boot your device in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup option.
– set a name for the file and confirm the process.
- Apply the Factory Reset now:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe option.
– confirm the process.
– note: if your Galaxy S4 I9500 is running a previous CM 11 build, then you can skip this step.
- Now you can begin the installation process of CM 11 Nightly for your Galaxy S4 I9500:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm the installation.
– don’t press any buttons until the custom Recovery completes the flashing process.
- After the CM 11 Nightly is installed you can flash Gapps zip, too.
- When all files are installed you can reboot the Galaxy S4 in normal mode.
- Use your Google Account or create a new CM profile in order to take control over your device once again.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while to complete, don’t press any buttons until all the files are flashed with success.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of CM 11 Nightly KitKat 4.4.4 for your Galaxy S4 I9505 non-LTE phone.
In case the process fails you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once. Also, make sure to ask for extra help in comments or make sure not to skip any steps listed above if you do try to repeat the guide.