The official CyanogenMod 11 M9 Snapshot is now live for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini 3G model. This is the International model of Galaxy S4 mini and you should use this guide in case you’re planning on installing this new ROM for it.
CyanogenMod 11 M9 is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat AOSP, but it also features tons of new things added by the CM team. The M9 Snapshot builds are Stable releases, so it is highly recommended for you to install these types of ROMs instead of Nightlies.
In case you want to learn more about this release, then you can check the info here or here. Before starting the install you should read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the International Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini model number GT – I9190.
– check the model number of your phone under Settings> About Device menu.
– do not try to update any other different devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your device has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
– both of these custom Recoveries will work with this release.
- before installing the new CM 11 M9 ROM you will need to apply to extra steps: NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset.
– these steps should not be avoided.
– ‘factory reset’ will delete the system memory partition, but it won’t delete any data from internal nor external storage.
- if you want to save some data from installed apps, you should use the Helium tool for Android here.
– Contacts data can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- this is a tutorial for advanced users, you can’t blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any important data in the process.
- read the whole guide, don’t skip any steps and make sure you know what you’re doing.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a custom ROM.
How to install CM 11 M9 Snapshot KitKat 4.4.4 ROM for Galaxy S4 Mini 3G I9190:
- Download the ROM file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Connect your device to your PC and move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– disconnect the phone from computer when done.
– also, in case you’ve downloaded the files straight to your phone, then you can skip this step.
- Switch off the Galaxy S4 Mini 3G now.
- Next, boot the phone in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup option.
– rename the file and confirm process.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe option.
– confirm process.
– note: you can skip this step in case your phone is sporting a previous CM 11 Nightly or M-Snapshot build.
- Start the installation process of CM 11 M9 KitKat 4.4.4 for your Galaxy S4 Mini 3G:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- After the installation is complete you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process will take a while before it loads all the new files, don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Use the Google account info or create a brand new CyanogenMod profile in order to take control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation and that you’re currently testing all the new features.
If the process fails then you will need to repeat the whole guide once again, but make sure that you don’t skip any steps and apply ‘factory reset’, too. For more help you should use the comments field below.