The US LTE variants of Galaxy S3 have received the official CyanogenMod 11 M9 Snapshot ROM and you can use our guide in order to learn how to update it. Read the whole guide if you want to flash a new ROM for your device.
This CM11 M9 Snapshot build is a stable and reliable release that’s based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat. If you wish to read more about the release, then you can check the CM blog page here or our news article here.
Before starting the update you need to read the guidelines below:
- this guide works only with the United States LTE models of Samsung Galaxy S3.
– do not try to flash this ROM on other non-LTE SGS3 phones.
- your device should be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery image.
- the tutorial will tell you to create a NANDROID Backup and apply a ‘factory reset’, do not these steps.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your PC.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes all data added by the previous ROM, the internal and external storage will not be affected by this process.
- if you wish to save data from installed apps you should use the Helium tool for Android.
– Contacts and People details should be synced with your Gmail account.
- this is a guide that should be used by users that are more advanced and that are looking to tinker with their phone’s operating system.
- read the whole and do not skip any steps in case you want to complete the update at your first attempt.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 11 M9 Android 4.4.4 for Galaxy S3 US LTE:
- Download the ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone with your PC.
– move both zip files on your device’s internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from PC when done and don’t unzip the file contents.
– if you’ve used your Galaxy S3 US LTE to download the files, then you should skip this step.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Next, boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup now:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– set a filename and confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm process and continue to the next step when done.
– if your device already sported a previous CM 11 Nightly or CM 11 M-Snapshot build, then you can skip this step.
– if you skip the step and the phone doesn’t boot after the new build is flashed, then you will have to return here and apply ‘factory reset’.
- Now, install the new CM 11 M9 ROM on your device:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the CyanogenMod 11 M9 ROM file and confirm installation.
- After the ROM is installed you need to flash Gapps, too. Use the same options as in step 8.
- When all files have been flashed successfully you can reboot the Galaxy S3 US LTE in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of CM 11 M9 Android 4.4.4 ROM might take somewhere around ten minutes before it loads all the new files.
- Use your Google account or create a new CM Profile in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of a new ROM on your Galaxy S3 US LTE.
In case you cannot complete the installation you can use the comments field to ask for extra help. Also, you can try to repeat the guide more than once, make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.