CyanogenMod M9 4.4.4 Snapshot is now live and it is the first build that’s available for Xperia Z2 device. Use our tutorial below if you wish to learn how to install it on your device.
The CM 11 M9-Snapshot build is based on stock Android 4.4.4, but it also features tons of extra elements added by the CyanogenMod team. Learn more about this release here or here. Before starting the installation you will have to take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this guide only with the Sony Xperia Z2 codenamed ‘sirius’.
– don’t try to update any other Android device with the files that you will find in this post.
- the Xperia Z2 phone needs to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image like TWRP or CWM.
- in the tutorial you will find the NANDROID Backup and Factory Reset steps.
– do not skip them.
– NANDROID Backup will create a full restore point for your phone.
– Factory Reset is needed to wipe all data installed by the previous ROM.
– ‘factory reset’ process doesn’t remove any data from internal nor external storage.
- in case you wish to save some data from installed applications, then you should use Helium for Android here.
– Contacts and People details can be synced with your default Gmail account here.
- use this post only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and do not blame us in case you brick your phone.
- check your phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 40%.
– this will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- the CM 11 M9 ROM is a stable release, but it might still pack some errors or bugs, install it at your own risk.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
Install CM 11 M9 Android 4.4.4 ROM for your SONY Xperia Z2:
- Download the “cm-11-20140804-SNAPSHOT-M9-sirius.zip” from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your Xperia Z2 with your PC and move both zip files on to its internal storage.
– do not unzip the contents.
– if you’ve used your phone to download these files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the phone now and make sure that it’s disconnected from your computer.
- Boot the Xperia Z2 in Custom Recovery Mode now.
- First, create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– name the file and confirm process.
- Apply the Xperia Z2 Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm process and continue to the next step when you’re done with it.
- Start the installation process of CM 11 M9 Snapshot for Xperia Z2:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option.
– TWRP: press Install option.
- Find the CM 11 M9 Snapshot Sirius zip file. Load it in Recovery Mode and confirm installation.
- When the new ROM is flashed you can install Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 8.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen when done installing all files.
- Reboot Xperia Z2 in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process will take almost ten minutes before it loads all the new files.
- Use your Google / CyanogenMod profile in order to take full control over your Xperia Z2 device.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to make sure that you will flash this brand new CM 11 M9 KitKat 4.4.4 ROM for your Sony Xperia Z2.
In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
If the install process fails you can choose to repeat the whole guide more than once until you manage to get it right. Remember that this is a guide for advanced users who like to tinker with their smartphone’s operating system.